Brazillian White Knee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brazillian White Knee

I am wondering if the giant white knee needs a heatmat?
    Proud owner of 48 Tarantulas and other pets.

I don't use a heatmat for any of my T's.
    They are pretty much kept at 70 all year long.
    Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.
    - Unknown

Species I currently have

Comment

All mine are kept in my sittingroom and are all doing ok. Are you keeping a white knee at 70F then? What about night time temps when it drops? We usually go to bed very late, sometimes 2 or 3 am but the heating is on in the winter right up until we go to bed but then it put on as soon as we get up around 8am ish. There is someone living 2 miles from me advertising some slings and I was just wondering if it would be ok living as my others are before deciding to get one or not.

Comment

Hi
        Yes my whiteknee is also kept at 70. I have a tarantula room where I keep all of mine. I bought a oil filled heater and that keeps the room at 70 all the time. Sometime during the day I will turn the heater off and the room dips slightly below 70, and so far they seem to be doing ok. As long as the temp dosn't dip way below, they should be ok.
        I think you should go for it
        Watch your thoughts, they become words.
        Watch your words, they become actions.
        Watch your actions, they become habits.
        Watch your habits, they become your character.
        Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.
        - Unknown

Species I currently have

Comment

Yes, I am going to go for it. Its only £2-50 for the sling too and they live on the doorstep but I can't get an answer yet from their phone so will try later. My daughter who lives across the road from me keeps T's too and she wants one as well.

Comment

I thought my living room was warm enough. I would often be sat in just a t-shirt and feel fine. I then got one of those LCD strip thermometer (the type used for aquariums) and it (the ambient temp in the cage) was reading way below 18 deg C. I bought a heat mat, placed some polystyrene behind it to direct the heat in the right direction and I leave a 3/4 inch gap between the mat and the cage. The temp is about 23 - 24 deg C now. Since I bought the heat mat, my smithi juv has livened up quite a bit and is eating much better than she was before. She will often bask by the back of the cage or even up the side that receives the heat. It stays on most of the day from 5am till about 7 or 8 at night. I've noticed a big difference since getting one.
            I think during the winter months when the heating is on, I'll turn off the heat mat. But for now, it seems to be doing something right.
            Gloria my little Brachypelma smithi.

Comment

I feel the cold so my heating is on all day during the winter and my sittingroom is always nice and warm. Hubby is always going outside to cool down LOL. I'm getting the white knee tomorrow. Its only about 6 weeks old at the moment.

Comment

I just bought a 3.5" A. Genic and keep it in a room with all my other T`s. No heat mats, in the mid 70`s. Biggest appetite I`ve ever seen in a T even more so than my L. Parahybana. It doesn`t wait for the crickets to walk by it sprints after them!!!! Great to watch!!

Comment

These are stunning spiders to have and with such great apetites too ,im glad i got my 2 when i did

Comment

I always seem to have a plentiful supply of crickets as two of my spiders don't eat much at all so the new one when big enough will take care of that

Comment

Originally posted by James McAleese View Post
                      ...Biggest appetite I`ve ever seen in a T even more so than my L. Parahybana. It doesn`t wait for the crickets to walk by it sprints after them!!!! Great to watch!!
                      ditto!
                      great hunters and eaters

70-85 is an ideal temperature for most Ts, they can go outside this but you may find it affects their activity and feeding. The temperature gauge strips and thermometers are not very accurate but I still use mine for guidance. Temperature drops during the night happen around the world but unless its regularly under 60 I wouldn't worry.
                      Grab a few of these slings, they really are great Ts growing over 7".
                      My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Working...
                      X