white stuff around mouth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white stuff around mouth

After an excellant day at the show today, i started to put the t's into the new enclosure, checking each as i go.
    Now i got to the Ornithoctonus aureotibialis and noticed a white substance coming from it's mouth, it is also quite lethargic, ive put it in isolation away from the rest of the collection, but can anybody shed ay light on this as it cant be a good sign.
    thanks in advance

that could be a dead spider walking, but I hate saying nematoads. I hope it is not . can you get a pic. If not get a close look at the white and see if it move or looks like tiny worms. hope this help somewhat.
    "The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer?"
    Jeremy Bentham

Comment

thanks had a feeling it could be a nemotode, but couldnt be sure, i gently shook the pot and it stayed tucked in and didnt try to steady its self. i just checked again and the white stuff has gone and moved about an inch when i shook the pot. I did a search and read that a t with nemotodes wont steady its self and that there is no hope.
      im in two minds now as to leave it and see how it goes or do euthanase it, will post a pic up soon once ive got one.
      As the white stuff is also spread around the pot i got the idea of putting some under the mocroscope to check.?

Comment

Keep it well away from the rest of your spids
        do not use any forceps with you other spids that have been in contact with this spid
        dont used uneaten crix from this spid with your other spids

To be honest that don't sound good at all. If it can't move it's chelicerae (try and get it to attack a chop stick or something) then I would freeze it or shove it in alcohol now. no point risking the rest of the spids.

BTW once in alcohol you will be able to see the nematodes quite well also.

cheers
        Chris

Comment

hey rebecca, may i ask who you bought this t from. i ask this as i have friends who have bought Ts from a certain dealer (who i will not name) at the show in the past, and they have been wild caught and have had nematodes. for this reason i always avoid that stall.
          a little tip for ya, nematodes cannot survive below 6 degrees or above a certain temperature, which i cant remember but can find out and get back to ya with.
          depending on species and if it can tolerate the temperature, if you put it in an incubator at this high temp for 5 days, give it a 10 day rest then back in for another 5 days, theis can cure the problem.
          THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

im not sure on the name of them but it was a woman selling at them at £7 in the main hall if that helps. i did read that nemotodes cant stand temps over 100degrees but have no idea if this t can withhold temps that high at that low at 6degrees but its worth a shot.
            I did try taking photos but the flash kept getting in the way.
            there is now no residue coming from the mouth parts and have had it under the microscope and cant see anything odd.

Comment

well thats a good sign, perhaps try seeing if she wille at anything, if she eats then hopefully it isnt as bad as it seems,
              THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

Comment

Rebecca, read this thread: http://www.thebts.co.uk/forums/showt...nematode+worms
                there's a link to an article that might help.
                i really hope it's not the case!!!
                Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->

Comment

cheers for the link had a look and clicked on the links the article was intresting. After seeing pictures of tarantulas affected by nemotodes im not sure now weather it is the problem.
                  The stuff on my t's fangs looked more like poo, ive put it away in the airing cupboard where its dark and warm. its now climbed to the top of the pot, i offered it a sml cricket and it ate which ive learnt wouldnt happen if it was infected.
                  things are looking up

Comment

thank God...i'd say that's a pretty definite sign, based on all i've read, that it's NOT nematodes
                    if it's maggots, that's pretty bad too, but you might be able to drown them by carefully immersing the spider's mouth in water...i did that with a millipede that i found covered in fruitfly maggots...
                    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->

Comment

Working...
                    X