Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• l Para playing dead ??

Hi all
    just a quick question my female L para has recently moulted and has started to behave in a strange way
    a couple of times over the last week i have found her with two or three legs tucked under her in what looks like the curl of death but if i wake her up she will suddenly remove the offending limbs and move around as normal
    I know they can be a bit untidy when they rest but has anyone else found that they tuck their legs underneath themselves on odd occasions
    she now measures in at about 8.5 - 9 inches and is about 2 years old ish
    and has had no change to her environment

cheers for now
    Clinton

Maxine 9 - 9.5 inch Lasiodora Parahybana
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Pet charity site http://www.sponsoracat.org.uk/

I've noticed this is pretty common with freshly-moulted spiders, and a couple of mine including one of my GBBs does it all the time. It freaked me out at first but it's just one of those weird things they do. I can only assume that they are in the middle of cleaning themselves and just get bored and stop, lol. I think you only have to worry if you find them with ALL their legs curling under.

Comment

Originally posted by Kate Arbon View Post
      I've noticed this is pretty common with freshly-moulted spiders, and a couple of mine including one of my GBBs does it all the time. It freaked me out at first but it's just one of those weird things they do. I can only assume that they are in the middle of cleaning themselves and just get bored and stop, lol. I think you only have to worry if you find them with ALL their legs curling under.
      Cheers for that Kate I didn't think of that and it puts my mind at rest
      " pause to wash middle left foot and right back foot at the same time then nod off "
      T's amaze me the way they wash I'm just waiting for her to pick up the wrong pair of legs at the same time during a wash and fall flat on her face
      She certainly is behaving herself now and munching on a few crickets so no problems in herself

All the best for now and thanks for the reply
      Clinton

Comment

L Para gone arboreal again

Hi all
        the post moult saga continues
        my L para has now started to go arboreal again with web everywhere in her tank, roof to floor , side to side but she seems to be doing it with a purpose. I noticed a cricket get stuck in the web half way up the side of the tank and bam she was up after it for lunch. I was under the impression T's dont use web to trap food normally they just wait for lunch to wander by or am i reading to much into this web building / hunting lark she seems to be putting the web in the spots that crickets hide / run ?????
        Clinton

Comment

well it's my understanding that T's do use silk for detecting vibrations, and of course the silk is often sticky...so i doubt they'd turn down a meal that got stuck.
          Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
          -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
          My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Originally posted by James Box View Post
            well it's my understanding that T's do use silk for detecting vibrations, and of course the silk is often sticky...so i doubt they'd turn down a meal that got stuck.
            Hi James
            I think thats whats amazing about T's they change habits / lifestyle after every moult ( well this one does ) her tank looks like something out of a 1960 vincent price horror film with web festooned everywhere only problem now is trying to get to the water bowl to clean and refill it and if she carries on this way I wont be able to see through the glass of the tank for cobweb everywhere. She's also going through a psyco stage of trying to rip my hand off if I try to get anything like food debris / bolus out of the tank, roll on the next moult and she may calm down, 9 inches of nutty hair flicking fast moving spider is a challenge

Click image for larger version

Name:	maxine moults.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	93567

All the best for now
            Last edited by Clinton Hogben; 24-06-08, 09:59 AM.
            Clinton

Comment

Working...
            X