is this normal too???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is this normal too???

Hey all I think i need a bit of advice about my T. This is my first T so i'm probably just worrying too much but anyway.

I have a Costa Rican Zebra (aphonopelma seemani) and its made a great burrow and everything, except it hasn't come out to drink in about a month . I read up about this species and my findings did tell me that this species of T has been known not to drink or eat for a while but i jus thought i'd check this way you guys.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
    Jon

Hi Jon and welcome,

Well first of all there is always the chance that it's coming up for a moult, or already has and it's spending a bit of time hardening up etc.
    With it making a burrow it will be acting as it would in its natural habitat so the moult could still be in there. I wouldn't be surprised if one morning you find a moult neatly stashed in the corner of the tank.
    Another thing you could try is to have a sleepless night and check on it throughout the night, again there is a good chance that it's out and about when you're nicely tucked up in bed.

Colin
    Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

also, dont forget that tarantulas can get drink from the moisture on the side of glass/plastic tanks, from the substrate etc. they dont always drink from dishes etc

Comment

Hey Jon I wouldnt worry too much my friend i have a juvenile King Baboon (c. crawshayi) and i never see it hardly its always holed up in its deep burrow,but as colin said its more likely that it goes exploring at night time.A. seemani are stunning T's but its one of the only species i never seem to have much success with unfortunately.But its good that your worried because at least you care about the animal and its not just another thing to scare your friends with.

Good job mate.
        2xB.vagans, B.smithi, 2x L.parahybana, L.polycuspulatus, G.aureostriata, C.fasciatum, B.albopilosum, B.boehmei, P.pulcher, H.maculata, C.crawshayi, L.violaceopes, C.cyanopubescens, 3xP.irminia, 2xP.murinus RCF, 2xP.cambridgei, C.fimbriatus, C.schioedtei, A.pupurea, A.azuraklassi, A.versicolor, H.lividum, P.reduncus.

Comment

i wouldn't worry too much...i think they like it humid, and there's a good chance it's getting its moisture from that as well as food (presuming it's eating)...it's a much faster growing spider than alot of Aphonopelma's, but i think it's fairly hardy.
          if it's an adult there's even less reason to worry
          i understand though, i find it moderately stressful that some spiders are often reluctant to do what seems normal
          Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
          -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
          My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Thanks but just 1 more..

Hey guys, jus wanna say thanks for all ur input, helps put the mind at ease

Although can i ask another question, where abouts would u recommend keeping the 'heat mat' at in the tank. I placed it on one of the sides of the tank, as i was told that if you place it on the bottom it can dry out the substrate or if the tarantula burrows to escape the heat (which i believe some naturally do) it can burrow down closer to the heat mat, overheat and possibly die.

Cheers
            Jon

Comment

Hey Jon from my previous experience I wudnt use heat mats for T's.I've always used a 40w red bulb all day then just room temp at night,cos even though A.Seemani is a terrestrial species they do occasionally climb the sides of their viv.The only time I have used heat mats for T's is with arboreal species as they tend to stick around the top of their viv's.
              2xB.vagans, B.smithi, 2x L.parahybana, L.polycuspulatus, G.aureostriata, C.fasciatum, B.albopilosum, B.boehmei, P.pulcher, H.maculata, C.crawshayi, L.violaceopes, C.cyanopubescens, 3xP.irminia, 2xP.murinus RCF, 2xP.cambridgei, C.fimbriatus, C.schioedtei, A.pupurea, A.azuraklassi, A.versicolor, H.lividum, P.reduncus.

Comment

Put the heat mat wired through a thermostat on the back or side of the tank.

Comment

I really don't think heat mats are necessary.
                  Room temp is ok for pretty much all species.
                  Mine are always kept between 65 to 75 all year round.
                  Watch your thoughts, they become words.
                  Watch your words, they become actions.
                  Watch your actions, they become habits.
                  Watch your habits, they become your character.
                  Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.
                  - Unknown

Species I currently have

Comment

what heat mat are you using? because you dont need to worry about a thermostat if its not a high voltage one, plus heat mats usualy use infra red to heat the stuff in the terrarium and usually only by 1 or 2 degrees. most people dont even use heat mats or any type of heating as it really isnt neccessary if your house stays in the 20's (celsius), especially this time of year as my room never drops below 22 even with the window open. if your still not convinced read the tarantula keepers guide by schulltz and schultz(stanley A, and marguerite J), taking note on the heating chapter. you can get it on play.com for about £7 and is a priceless book for the begginer.
                    ''The very general opinion that the tarantula ''looks so horrible'' is obviously without any basis. To anyone who has learned to know this spider, it is as handsome as a goldfinch and fully as interesting.'' William J. Baerg. 1885-1980.

Comment

Originally posted by michaelmckinney View Post
                      Hey Jon from my previous experience I wudnt use heat mats for T's.I've always used a 40w red bulb all day then just room temp at night,cos even though A.Seemani is a terrestrial species they do occasionally climb the sides of their viv.The only time I have used heat mats for T's is with arboreal species as they tend to stick around the top of their viv's.
                      Michael,
                      Red bulbs are sometimes recommended by pet shops because the Ts dont seem to be affected by red light, along with many other exotic nocturnal species. Red bulbs are fine for many of the drier species (apart from the fact the T may burn itself on them...). However, if you keep species that need humidity, the bulbs dry out the air, so i would no way recommend a bulb. Is it really worth burning your pet? If you want to view them at night, try using red LEDs instead.

Originally posted by Chris Golen View Post
                      I really don't think heat mats are necessary.
                      Room temp is ok for pretty much all species.
                      Mine are always kept between 65 to 75 all year round.
                      Try keeping some of the more advanced species at 65F for any length of time (I certainly wouldnt). A room temp of 80F is generally the accepted 'universal' temp (if there is such a thing).

Originally posted by Andy Jury View Post
                      what heat mat are you using? because you dont need to worry about a thermostat if its not a high voltage one, plus heat mats usualy use infra red to heat the stuff in the terrarium and usually only by 1 or 2 degrees. most people dont even use heat mats or any type of heating as it really isnt neccessary if your house stays in the 20's (celsius), especially this time of year as my room never drops below 22 even with the window open. if your still not convinced read the tarantula keepers guide by schulltz and schultz(stanley A, and marguerite J), taking note on the heating chapter. you can get it on play.com for about £7 and is a priceless book for the begginer.
                      I'm pretty certain heat mats dont use IR?
                      IR only heats organic matter such as tissue, and does not heat the air. This is not true of heat mats as if you suspend a thermometer in the air in a box and have a heatmat underneath, I can pretty much guarantee that the air temp in the container will rise.
                      Schultz guide is just that; a guide. Although a great book for the novice keeper, our understanding of these creatures has greatly increased over the time since the book was published. Books written on tarantulas are usually out of date before they are even published thesedays
                      Hope this helps and you all have fun with your Ts!
                      Oli

Comment

[quote/]I'm pretty certain heat mats dont use IR?
                        IR only heats organic matter such as tissue, and does not heat the air. This is not true of heat mats as if you suspend a thermometer in the air in a box and have a heatmat underneath, I can pretty much guarantee that the air temp in the container will rise.
                        Schultz guide is just that; a guide. Although a great book for the novice keeper, our understanding of these creatures has greatly increased over the time since the book was published. Books written on tarantulas are usually out of date before they are even published thesedays
                        Hope this helps and you all have fun with your Ts!
                        Oli[/quote]

heat mats use ultra long wavelength infra red heat that tends to heat furnishings in the cage rather than the air, although as i stated it will raise the air temp by a couple of degrees. i think you will find this of use.
                        ''The very general opinion that the tarantula ''looks so horrible'' is obviously without any basis. To anyone who has learned to know this spider, it is as handsome as a goldfinch and fully as interesting.'' William J. Baerg. 1885-1980.

Comment

I'm using a heat mat to heat a cabinet where I keep most of my Ts, the temp in there is at 85F at the moment. Thats more then a couple of degrees. Thats a good read though for an equipment site, and I definatly wasnt aware that heat mats used IR. I stand corrected Andy, thanks for the link.

Comment

not a prob. i was pretty sure they did untill you said otherwise, a quick google will normaly sort things out tho. what mat you using? as i could do with one that keeps things a higher temp. my invert area is 23.7-24 C (75f).

Comment

Hmm, god knows. I just went into the local pet shop and said give me the biggest heat strip/mat you have and 5m of cable LOL.
                              Its perfect though, I dont even have to put a stat on and it stays between 80-85F. On hot days I just leave the cabinet doors open. The cabinet is 48x48x24 (hxlxd) and I had to shave off around 2cm of plastic from the edges of the mat to accomodate it.
                              I'll get a picture and PM it to you sometime if you like.

Comment

Working...
                              X