Koh Samui

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Koh Samui

Hi, I wonder if someone could help me with something. I know male tarantulas mature smaller than females, and I know this is not a set rule (I've had a male A. metallica mature at 14cm legspan, for example). Even so could someone tell me the average size a male Koh Samui matures? I have a big, healthy critter with legspan 4cm and although I think its a male, I'm not certain. Many thanks.
    sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

i'm not 100% on this, but don't Yamia sp "Koh Samui" males(unless you're talking about the Ornithoctonus sp) get pink feet when they mature...so that might be something to look out for.
    hehe as far as males maturing huge, you should've seen my poor old male GBB...he was bigger than the female that sadly grabbed him. MUCH bigger lol!
    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Hi James,
      to be honest I'm not sure what the difference is, min's Ornithoctonus though. Looks like a minature aureotibialis, saw him/her out and about for the first time this year late last night, cute little lump!

Comment

ahh it probably doesn't have the pink feet then!
        i've got an aureotibialis sling from Mary but no idea what it's going to look like mature lol
        funny little burrowing things...such a treat to see them out and about!
        Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
        -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Hi James,
          I think you'll find the aureotibialis are blue/grey bodied,with jet black legs and orange bands on the leg joints. I have a couple of species variants about 10cm legspan and the leg colour is really deep like E. murinus. You've got special spiders (when you get to see them, that is!)

Comment

Hi Nicola, the males of Ornithoctonus sp. Koh samui tend to be smaller than the females (which average 6 to 8cm legspan). If it's a mature male, you'll tell the difference immediately as the male has matt tan coloured legs with brown / black tarsi and a tan abdomen with faint chevrons. You'll have probably noticed the colour change that this species goes through, with copper / bronze coloured legs, etc. If you also have a female (assuming the other is a male!) do try to mate them as there is a good chance of a successful mating. Don't be put of by the difference in size as I have just had 2 successful sacs from a pairing where the male was tiny compared to the female; quite frankly, I didn't give much hope to the male doing the deed! But he did!! Twice!! The male can be left with the female for several days but it's advisable to remove him after a while to prevent him becoming lunch!! If this individual is one you received from me, then it should be a male by now!! Hope this is of some use.

Comment

Hi Steve, yes this is one got from yourself. Sadly I lost the other in a bad moult. She (as it now looks) looks just like a mini O. aureotibialis, a beautiful little thing. When she gets bigger I'd love to breed her, though I think thats a little way off (current size 42mm). Thanks for the help!

Comment

sounds like a nice little spider
                glad yours looks to be female, Nicola
                -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Working...
                X