is MDF safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is MDF safe?

i have a nice glass vase that i'm gonna house my GBB in, and i was gonna make a lid out of MDF is this safe for the T? only i'm pretty sure i heard it is toxic when i was looking for a material to build a bearded dragon cage.
    ''The very general opinion that the tarantula ''looks so horrible'' is obviously without any basis. To anyone who has learned to know this spider, it is as handsome as a goldfinch and fully as interesting.'' William J. Baerg. 1885-1980.

keep away from the man made rubbish. mdf is made up of paper highly compressed with glue. it can be very toxic, even to humans if cutting it without a face mask. also as the humidity gets into it, it well expand and peel apart. i would recommend going back to the drawing board
    THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

MDF is fine BUT it must be sealed with several coats of either yacht varnish or gloss (or matt) paint, even one pin sized hole will let in the moisture and it will expand and be ruined.
      MDF is great stuff because it is available in several thicknesses and can be cut to shape very easily but it isnt the best of materials to use with live animals unless it is thoughly sealed.

Comment

why not a crystal clear acrylic lid?

Comment

i dont have the means to attach that securely, if i make it out of wood it sits nicely inside the neck and should be heavy enough for the sling not to be able to move it. i have no idea how i would securely attach an acrylic lid, not to mention cut it perfectly round.
          ''The very general opinion that the tarantula ''looks so horrible'' is obviously without any basis. To anyone who has learned to know this spider, it is as handsome as a goldfinch and fully as interesting.'' William J. Baerg. 1885-1980.

Comment

If my memory serves me right, I remember using perspex in my CDT classes about 16 years ago. We used the same tools for cutting and finishing as we did for wood.
            Gloria my little Brachypelma smithi.

Comment

Working...
            X