Selenocosmia javanensis???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selenocosmia javanensis???

Hey just brought a Selenocosmia javanensis cant find no info on the net!!! does anyone no anything or actually owned one?? just wanna no some background on them all i know is she evil!!! snapping and hissing really loud while moving her into new home!even turning on the lights or moving one of my other t,s near by she will get into threat pose and start snapping!!crazy

yeah i have one, been bitten to, i dont recommend it. u have found mine does better on the more humid side with deep substrate to borrow in

Comment

Hi Chris this is translated from the original description.

" Selenocosmia javanesis
      Location: Malay Peninsula: Sumatra, Java and the Nicobar Islands

Common Name: Java Yellow kneed tarantula

Authority:

Walckenaer 1837:Histoire naturelle des Insects. Apteres.Tome I. Paris

Other Relevant Refernces:

H.C.Abrahams 1924: Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London:4

General Description:

A female speciemen is described. The overall integument is brown. The carapace is covered in with greyish yellow hair. The abdomen is brown as are the legs. It is overall lighter in colour than S.fuliginea. The carapace is a little longer than the patella + tibia of leg IV. The anterior eyes are as long as the medians. The cluster of bacilli on the maxillae are thick with distal end being wide and rounded. The bristles on the mandibles are more abundant and attenuate than in S.fuliginea. The tarsal scopulae on leg IV are not divided. The patella +tibia of leg I is longer than leg IV.

Bear in mind that this is a very old paper aand many of the Selenocosmia that float around the hobby as Selenocosmia are often mis identified.

In captivity keep them in a tank with deep substrate and maintain humidity and temp. Watch the fingers becuase they are snappy and will bite. They produce a lot of web and will often only be active at night.

Hope this helps. There are a number of pictures around. Try Google Images.

I have kept many Selenocosmia over the years and find them fasciniating creatures.

Hope this helps

Ray Hale
      British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
      The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
      On
      [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

Oh heck, now I want one!
        sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

i've got a peerbloomi coming Monday, can't wait!
          love these crazy T's!
          Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
          -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
          My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

I've got a crazy tarantula whose going to get a big new home on monday, YIPEE! I've waited ages to get my apophysis an adult tank, finally managed it thank goodness.

Comment

Is the S. peerboomi the orange one James? Saw some pics of these and they're stunning!

Comment

i think it's grey-brown, to be honest...http://www.spidy.goliathus.com/engli...omi-id282.html
                quite a nice looking spider.
                that's great about your apo getting a new home mine are still too young and small to think about anything more than a cricket tub.
                Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Thanks James,
                  If my apo's anything to go by you'll have a wait as they seem to grow very slowly. I got mine at easter last year and the thing is still only 10cm legspan! You have to wonder why when you see its appetite!. Hope your new little one gives you years of fun . Looks stunning!

Comment

Actually here's an interesting point. As Selenocosmia sp. in Australia have now been restored to Phlogius (or are in the process of being so) will Selenocosmia remain as a valid genus regarding peerboomi and other Indonesian/ Malayan species etc. or will these spiders stop being Selenocosmia? Interesting to see what will be decided.
                    Last edited by Nicola Dolby; 04-07-08, 11:26 AM.

Comment

thanks Nicola
                      i hope it stays Selenocosmia...it's a nicer name and easier to say:P
                      lol
                      then again, Phlogius has its appeal too i suppose.
                      -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by James Box View Post
                        thanks Nicola
                        i hope it stays Selenocosmia...it's a nicer name and easier to say:P
                        lol
                        then again, Phlogius has its appeal too i suppose.
                        Hi
                        Unfortunately it is not either but it is not my place to say what and why, but maybe someday a paper will be published.
                        All the best
                        Chris

Comment

Thanks Chris, that answers my question perfectly. By the way I've seen":P" a few times on posts now, what does it mean? Is it a smiley face turned on its side? Please help this ignorant old woman!

Comment

ye it jus a cheeky smilie, dont look like it recognised to be displayed as graphic tho. i get confused with all the smilies there are now, you know people actually pay for them to use on their instant messengers, i cant see the point myself lol
                            THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

Comment

Thanks Matthew.
                              I know what you mean about smilies. Most people can use the ones on this site in their messages, I can only get them to show by post-titles!

Comment

Working...
                              X