Hi all Im a Newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all Im a Newbie

Hi all im new to this forum my name is luke.I myself have been into Tarantula's for sometime now(6 months) I have a G.Rosea and a Tiger red Rump (sorry im not good at their real name's).My G.Rosea is brilliant and happly settled just like my tiger rump.I must say it has been a joy to watch them bulid their home's over the past few months.Plus i do not handle my Tarantuls i belive in leaving them alone to enjoy and feel safe in their homes and let them do their natural things.O and i also have a Bearded dragon lizard and he is fantastic to watch and handle even my children love him.Ok to get down to business im thinking of getting a Pink toe and a Colbolt blue in a month or so but i need more info about their setups,I have been all over the Internet looking for info but came up with different results so i came to this forum for better results because i think it is best to have the proper setups so the tarantuls dont get streest or even die.So if anybody has any info i will be most greatfull thanks.

Luke Anthony

(P.S i am also against people who prod and poke their tarantulas just to make them angry so they can make a video too put it on the net)
    Luke Anthony

Welcome to the BTS Forum Luke. Im sure if you have any questions between us we can help you out. We are a friendly lot at the BTS.

Ray Hale
    BTS Committee
    British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
    The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
    On
    [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

welcome Luke
      no worries about the scientific names, i'm still learning them myself!
      there's a chance you've got a Cyclosternum fasciatum, though i believe a few others get called tiger rumps too...if you put up a pic somewhere we can have a guess, which may help a bit.

personally, i think there are as many ways of successfully keeping spiders as there are good keepers... care sheets aren't gospel truth, but they are the experiences of at least one person. because nobody can exactly duplicate the balances of environmental factors another manages, the best thing is to get a vague idea to start with and see if it works.
      if the spider acts naturally, ie making a burrow in the case of the Haplopelma lividum, or webbing up, in the case of the Avicularia sp., and also eats (unless approaching a moult), then you're probably fine.

these are species i'm not that experienced with...lividum i'm new to, and i have two Avics, one that does well, and the other that worries me.
      the one that's doing well is in a plastic cereal container with cork bark and moss. it has webbed up a treat and eats. i water it when i remember, but it seems fine. eats well also.
      it was sold as sp "Metallica" but i'm not sure.
      it is not being heated, but my room is not cold, and can be quite warm.
      the one i'm worried about is nearer a heat source but seems reluctant to web. i believe it is eating though.

my lividums are in tubs (one is a popcorn tub like you get at a sweet stand or a pound shop) and the first thing it did was burrow and make a turret. it isn't being heated any more than the A. sp "Metallica" and seems fine. the other is in a somewhat smaller tub (due to be rehoused, i think) but also seems to be doing just fine.

but really, i'd say put them near heatmats or heatsources of some kind (some people prefer lightbulbs from above), try humidity, try keeping it dry...you'll probably do fine! if the spider behaves well, that's your best indication that things are alright.

sorry for the rambling, i'm a bit dead today!
      Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
      -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
      My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Hale View Post
        Welcome to the BTS Forum Luke. Im sure if you have any questions between us we can help you out. We are a friendly lot at the BTS.

Ray Hale
        BTS Committee
        Thank you very much for the welcome and im sure i will have plenty to ask
        Luke Anthony

Comment

Originally posted by James Box View Post
          welcome Luke
          no worries about the scientific names, i'm still learning them myself!
          there's a chance you've got a Cyclosternum fasciatum, though i believe a few others get called tiger rumps too...if you put up a pic somewhere we can have a guess, which may help a bit.

personally, i think there are as many ways of successfully keeping spiders as there are good keepers... care sheets aren't gospel truth, but they are the experiences of at least one person. because nobody can exactly duplicate the balances of environmental factors another manages, the best thing is to get a vague idea to start with and see if it works.
          if the spider acts naturally, ie making a burrow in the case of the Haplopelma lividum, or webbing up, in the case of the Avicularia sp., and also eats (unless approaching a moult), then you're probably fine.

these are species i'm not that experienced with...lividum i'm new to, and i have two Avics, one that does well, and the other that worries me.
          the one that's doing well is in a plastic cereal container with cork bark and moss. it has webbed up a treat and eats. i water it when i remember, but it seems fine. eats well also.
          it was sold as sp "Metallica" but i'm not sure.
          it is not being heated, but my room is not cold, and can be quite warm.
          the one i'm worried about is nearer a heat source but seems reluctant to web. i believe it is eating though.

my lividums are in tubs (one is a popcorn tub like you get at a sweet stand or a pound shop) and the first thing it did was burrow and make a turret. it isn't being heated any more than the A. sp "Metallica" and seems fine. the other is in a somewhat smaller tub (due to be rehoused, i think) but also seems to be doing just fine.

but really, i'd say put them near heatmats or heatsources of some kind (some people prefer lightbulbs from above), try humidity, try keeping it dry...you'll probably do fine! if the spider behaves well, that's your best indication that things are alright.

sorry for the rambling, i'm a bit dead today!
          WOW that is some great info thank you very much,I will also try and get some photos up of the tiger rump when she come's out at about 2am i hope, but it will still be tricky because they can run realy fast and like i said i will not disturb them when they are hidding and im looking forward to getting a lividum,and also i hope your Avic (the one that worrys you) settelsin well once again thank you for the info
          Luke Anthony

Comment

Hi and welcome to BTS
            The Tiger Red Rump could be a Cyclosternum fasciatum (I believe its Davos fasciatum now), slim black legs with black and red chevron pattern on the abdomen. Mine hid for 3 months or so, moulted and now is a skittish individual that I often see at night. Perhaps spraying the soil more often has encouraged it to come out of its coconut shell. However there are similar species to Cyclosternum fasciatum albeit a smaller species.
            The Cobalt blue is likely to become your pet hole so you might want to think of an alternative that you're more likely to see. They're also aggressive.
            I'd suggest a Brachypelma as these are fairly docile, brightly coloured and less likely to permanently hide. The B. smithi (Mexican Red Knee) is an obvious choice, but B. auratum, B. klassi or B. boehmei make great additions too. Have a look here:

James, my A. metallica (purchased at the same time) is doing very well and recently moulted with its exuvium spread around its web. Its gone overboard on the webbing so I now I can hardly see it, impressive webbing but I'd prefer to see the impressive T. In contrast my other Avics haven't webbed as much, my large versicolor has a tube from its cork bark opening to half way down and with the little exception of some webbing behind the cork its fairly clear of web. Thankfully its always willing to sit out on display. My smaller versi has a hammock of webbing but little else except in its bamboo tube and my A. avicularia (from Mary) has webbed a quarter of her enclosure. I keep all my versicolor slings in film pots, 1/3 filled with vermiculite with water to the surface and a little sphagnum moss for them to fix their webs to. The trick with Avics seems to be moisture and ventilation.
            My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Hey Luke,

Welcome to The B.T.S mate you will find alot of very helpful people on here.

More than likely if you have a tiger rump it will be C. Fasciatum, there is another tiger rump look alike, Metreopelma Zebrata aswell. I have a C. Fasciatum sling who is shedding as we speak!!

As for your wanted list be prepared for pure evil when dealing with Haplopelma Lividum!! And avics are ok, but they can be troublesome at best though. If you want my advice for my first arboreal species, I chose Psalmopoeus Irminia ( Venezeula Sun Tiger ) and I don't regret my decision for a second. They are stunning T's and complete starvo's when it comes to eating.

Have a look at these pics I'm sure you will agree they are stunners Luke.

Michael...
              Attached Files
              2xB.vagans, B.smithi, 2x L.parahybana, L.polycuspulatus, G.aureostriata, C.fasciatum, B.albopilosum, B.boehmei, P.pulcher, H.maculata, C.crawshayi, L.violaceopes, C.cyanopubescens, 3xP.irminia, 2xP.murinus RCF, 2xP.cambridgei, C.fimbriatus, C.schioedtei, A.pupurea, A.azuraklassi, A.versicolor, H.lividum, P.reduncus.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lacey View Post
                Hi and welcome to BTS
                The Tiger Red Rump could be a Cyclosternum fasciatum (I believe its Davos fasciatum now), slim black legs with black and red chevron pattern on the abdomen. Mine hid for 3 months or so, moulted and now is a skittish individual that I often see at night. Perhaps spraying the soil more often has encouraged it to come out of its coconut shell. However there are similar species to Cyclosternum fasciatum albeit a smaller species.
                The Cobalt blue is likely to become your pet hole so you might want to think of an alternative that you're more likely to see. They're also aggressive.
                I'd suggest a Brachypelma as these are fairly docile, brightly coloured and less likely to permanently hide. The B. smithi (Mexican Red Knee) is an obvious choice, but B. auratum, B. klassi or B. boehmei make great additions too. Have a look here:

James, my A. metallica (purchased at the same time) is doing very well and recently moulted with its exuvium spread around its web. Its gone overboard on the webbing so I now I can hardly see it, impressive webbing but I'd prefer to see the impressive T. In contrast my other Avics haven't webbed as much, my large versicolor has a tube from its cork bark opening to half way down and with the little exception of some webbing behind the cork its fairly clear of web. Thankfully its always willing to sit out on display. My smaller versi has a hammock of webbing but little else except in its bamboo tube and my A. avicularia (from Mary) has webbed a quarter of her enclosure. I keep all my versicolor slings in film pots, 1/3 filled with vermiculite with water to the surface and a little sphagnum moss for them to fix their webs to. The trick with Avics seems to be moisture and ventilation.
                MM they are nice indeed i like the Albopilosum and the Vagans.I know the Cobalt blue is aggressive but these are the facts of owning such Tarantulas but i did not know they spend most of their time in the burrow (back to the books on that one)so i may consider getting a different Tarantula and thanks for the info about your A. metallica sounds pretty interesting and about the Tiger rump i have noticed it is good to spray there housing they love it plus they are active at night but i do like to stay up most of the night to watch my T's.Thank you again for the info as soon as i get my new Ts i will let you know
                Luke Anthony

Comment

Originally posted by michaelmckinney View Post
                  Hey Luke,

Welcome to The B.T.S mate you will find alot of very helpful people on here.

More than likely if you have a tiger rump it will be C. Fasciatum, there is another tiger rump look alike, Metreopelma Zebrata aswell. I have a C. Fasciatum sling who is shedding as we speak!!

As for your wanted list be prepared for pure evil when dealing with Haplopelma Lividum!! And avics are ok, but they can be troublesome at best though. If you want my advice for my first arboreal species, I chose Psalmopoeus Irminia ( Venezeula Sun Tiger ) and I don't regret my decision for a second. They are stunning T's and complete starvo's when it comes to eating.

Have a look at these pics I'm sure you will agree they are stunners Luke.

Michael...
                  Wow your right its a beauti but the Venezeula Sun Tiger can also be bad tempered i heard, but still one to have i like to have Tarantuls for a hobbie (not to say o look at me i have a big nasty spider)i have respect for them all and the Haplopelma Lividum i just like for some strange resone and also i have now been told that they spend most of there time in their burrow so now im thinking of others.I am delited to hear about your tiger rump hope all goes well with the moult mine is just chilling in its housing at the moment and web every where on the floor O and just to let you know they can run fast so watch you dont lose it.Thank you very much for your help looking forward to talking again soon
                  Luke Anthony

Comment

glad to hear your Avic sp Metallica is doing well Peter!
                    doesn't seem much i can manage with my Avic sp avic at the moment, but she looks healthy at least.

Luke, i don't think burrowing T's are that bad an investment. you can encourage them to burrow to the edges of the container by covering it with something that blocks light, and remove it when you want a look. i've used bin liner, and i've a mate who taped up a towel that hangs over their spider's burrow. all you have to do is move the curtain and bob's your uncle.
                    you can also start a burrow for the spider, which may help.
                    shine a torch down the entrance when you want a look.
                    lividum do web the sides in my experience, but my guess is that you'd still be happy with it, as they do emerge at times, even if you're unsuccessful getting it to burrow near the side.
                    if you don't bother your T's much, i doubt it makes any difference how grumpy it is, though i have had them run over the edge and be absolute pains to get back in! but that goes for any T.

that being said, P irminia is also lovely and worthwhile. you have to respect their speed, but they're alright from what i've heard if you exercise the same common sense you do with your others and respect it.
                    i don't think they're as flighty as P cambridgei, though.
                    i'd also recommend P reduncus. it's a lovely gold spider and in my limited experience is not as much a runner as irminia and cambridgei.

personally i've found alot of arboreals also hide from the light...in fact MOST T's do...they usually seem much happier when Not Being Seen.
                    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->

Comment

Originally posted by James Box View Post
                      glad to hear your Avic sp Metallica is doing well Peter!
                      doesn't seem much i can manage with my Avic sp avic at the moment, but she looks healthy at least.

Luke, i don't think burrowing T's are that bad an investment. you can encourage them to burrow to the edges of the container by covering it with something that blocks light, and remove it when you want a look. i've used bin liner, and i've a mate who taped up a towel that hangs over their spider's burrow. all you have to do is move the curtain and bob's your uncle.
                      you can also start a burrow for the spider, which may help.
                      shine a torch down the entrance when you want a look.
                      lividum do web the sides in my experience, but my guess is that you'd still be happy with it, as they do emerge at times, even if you're unsuccessful getting it to burrow near the side.
                      if you don't bother your T's much, i doubt it makes any difference how grumpy it is, though i have had them run over the edge and be absolute pains to get back in! but that goes for any T.

that being said, P irminia is also lovely and worthwhile. you have to respect their speed, but they're alright from what i've heard if you exercise the same common sense you do with your others and respect it.
                      i don't think they're as flighty as P cambridgei, though.
                      i'd also recommend P reduncus. it's a lovely gold spider and in my limited experience is not as much a runner as irminia and cambridgei.

personally i've found alot of arboreals also hide from the light...in fact MOST T's do...they usually seem much happier when Not Being Seen.
                      That sounds like a brill idea plus i have noticed in some pet shops that some Ts do intend to web or burrow to the side of the tank that people cant see so i tend to pick the tank up and the shop owner is like what are you doing and also the P reduncus looks fab i shall be looking more into that breed along with the cambridgei.LOL yes Ts do hate the light i have a Tea towle covering half of my G.Rosea's tank and my tiger rumps tank is behind a chair away from the daylight that comes through the window by day plus i've heared that Ts cant see red lights so i keep my lizards heat lamp on at night to view my tarantulas not the house light.Once again thanks for the info O my G.Rosea did run out of her cage once but it was no problem at the time i just picked her up and put her back in i think she might of thought im been attacked lets get what ever it is
                      Luke Anthony

Comment

welcome to the forum luke. the tiger rump i cannot help you with i am afraid, but if you visit www.invicta-arachnid-club.org.uk we have a care sheet for the h.lividum (cobalt blue) that we issue as a guide for people. good luck with the new additions
                        THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

Comment

Originally posted by matthew spooner View Post
                          welcome to the forum luke. the tiger rump i cannot help you with i am afraid, but if you visit www.invicta-arachnid-club.org.uk we have a care sheet for the h.lividum (cobalt blue) that we issue as a guide for people. good luck with the new additions
                          Thanks for the welcome matthew and for the link
                          Luke Anthony

Comment

no problem, any time
                            THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

Comment

Thanks everyone

Ok all got to go and have dinner thank you all very much for the help and support and the welcome's talk again soon
                              Luke Anthony

Comment

Working...
                              X