Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice needed for caring for my new Chilean Rose Hair!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed for caring for my new Chilean Rose Hair!

Hey everyone, Anni here, completely new to BTS and on an enthusiastic quest for knowledge! Yesterday I brought my first ever tarantula, a young female Chilean Rose Hair (according to the pet shop owner). I tried to do a decent amount of research about the species before I got her but there are still a few things I'm confused or uncertain about and would really like some advice on.

First thing, the pet shop I got her from recommended I get this tank which I've measured at roughly 45x15x27cm, but since putting her in there she hasn't explored at all, she's basically chosen the half of the tank with the water bowl on it and stuck to it. It seems like the tank is twice as big as she's willing to move. Due to this I was thinking of getting her a smaller tank (she ignores food on the other side of the tank, my room is quite small as it is, and having a tank she only uses half of seems like a waste of both spider life substrate and space.) What kind of tank size would people recommend for her?

Secondly I'm also curious about feeding and watering routines. I was told to feed her every other day, (I've brought crickets and wax worms), but I have no idea how regularly I'm meant to moisten the spider composite or refill the water bowl...

Thirdly, she lay down this mat of web last night next to her water bowl, I heard that this could mean they were preparing to molt, what does this mean I should do? Or not do? And how long for?

Another thing I was wondering about is how can I actually tell she is a female?

Thanks in advance! Any advice at all will be really appreciated!

Anni

Hi Anni...welcome..

Step by step then...this is how i maintain my Grammostola (chilli rose's), this is by no means the definitive way but it works for me. Others may post differing ideas and opinions which work for them and if you take in all the info you will have a good start to maintaining your spider.

The tank size will be ok, she'll probably be exploring it at night when youre asleep. in the wild they dont really move around a lot anyway.

Feeding...i feed my spiders weekly and offer them a suitably sized food item (for yours i would feed a cricket about an inch in length)

Water...if you choose to use a water bowl then just keep it topped up that will be ok. a lot of people dont use them, the spider will get it's moisture from the food item.

substrate...G. roseas prefer a dry substrate (simulating their natural habitat). you can if you wish overflow the water bowl a little when filling to maintain humidity when moulting.

The laying down of the mat could mean she is wanting to moult, alternatively she could have laid this down because she doesn't like the "feel" of the substrate. (ie too damp, wrong texture etc etc)
    There's nothing really you can do to help the spider physically with a moult and it will take whatever time the spider needs to complete it. normally the spider will go off it's food for a period of time before the moult, this is the indication we all follow to prepare ourselves really.

After a little time you will get to know how your spider goes about it's life, they train us to their way of life

Any other questions...please ask away

Colin
    Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Hi Anni and welcome to BTS Colin is right about all he said and i will say your T may still be abit stressed from the travel from the pet shop to a new home mine was like that to when i got her home and like Colin said dont be to worryed about the food they intend not to stuff their mouths for a few days or weeks i just changed my Rosea's beding today and she is not to happy about it but she is now all ready moving stuff around(i cleaned it out because i think she is due a moult i dont wont any mites in there with her)But anyways dont panic she or he is all well by the sounds of things.Just keep us up to date about what your T is doing .
      Luke Anthony

Comment

Hi Anni. Welcome to the board!

I agree with everything Colin said. Most people feed weekly, you could feed her more often but you may find that she fills up quickly and then starts to refuse food. Don't worry if she does, tarantulas can go months without eating, and G. rosea are famous for going on hunger strike. As long as she doesn't seem to be getting skinny she's ok.

Also, you say you only got her yesterday and are concerned that she is not using all her tank. Well, a lesson you are going to be taught whether you like it or not is that tarantulas like to take their sweet time doing anything! One day is not really long enough to judge if she is using all the space. She will probably take at least a couple of weeks to settle in. How big is she by the way?

How thick is the mat of web she's laid? She will cover the substrate in a very fine layer of web as a way to 'see' her environment (tarantulas mainly sense their surroundings through vibration). Also when she eats she will probably lay a feeding mat, and yes when she moults she will lay a thick mat to lie on. When she does moult you will find her on her back. All you need to do is absolutely nothing! Don't disturb or touch her as they are very vulnerable when moulting and just after. Just pull up a chair and watch one of the coolest things in nature, and then don't feed her for at least a week afterwards as her fangs will be soft for a while.

As for telling if she's really female, there are two ways and both can be tricky. If she goes up onto the side of the tank (quite likely as she's settling in), you could try and get a clear photo of the underside of her abdomen, between the front two booklungs, then post it up here and some of us can take a guess. The best way though is to wait until she moults and then have a look at the same area, but on the inside. Female's have a flap between the booklungs. Again, if you get a photo then someone here will probably be able to figure it out. If she is big, over 4 inches in legspan, you can probably assume she is female, as mature males look quite different.

Kate
        Last edited by Kate Arbon; 09-07-08, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Hi Anni and welcome to BTS.
          My 2 chili's are kept the driest of all my Ts and this reflects its natural habitat where very little rain will fall within a year, so its moisture requirements will come from its food and possibly the morning dew. If you water a little each week in one corner that will probably suffice.
          The tank definitely seems large but if it were possible to seperate it into two you'll have a home prepared for your next tarantula A good guide is twice the legspan of the T however with a little furnishing and time it seems our Ts settle in to a variety of sized enclosures.
          You've chosen a great tarantula, popular for good reason, its hardy, requires little and yet returns with beauty, activity (mine are always refurnishing) and also a docile pet. As common as they are they're often our favoured T of the collection. Enjoy
          My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

welcome to the bts, and congrats on a great spider choice...they are one of my favourites too.
            they are very hardy, and in fact the only downside is that they sometimes go off food for a while, which i find a bit stressful.
            however, they are lovely and rewarding and very undemanding.
            when she does moult, you'll be treated to an incredible sight!
            Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
            -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
            My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Update on the chili rose!

She's using pretty much all her tank now, and she finally discovered and started using the shelter today instead of clinging to the walls. I'm presuming this is a good thing! Although she hasn't been laying any web since catching that cricket the other day, so I take it that it was a feeding mat she was making after all. (I had no idea they did that!) It was quite thin, you can still see the substrate through it.

I measured her when she was up against the tank and she's currently 2.2" long, not including legs.

I tried to get a clear photo of her underside, but they all came out too dark, and when I used the flash it just reflected off the side of the tank, so I shall wait until she molts then post a good photo of her skin on here to see what people reckon.

Thankyou all for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by Anni Weatherley View Post
                I tried to get a clear photo of her underside, but they all came out too dark, and when I used the flash it just reflected off the side of the tank, so I shall wait until she molts then post a good photo of her skin on here to see what people reckon.
                Hi Anni, congrats on your first T. I got my first (a chile rose too) in march. I find that when I'm taking pictures through glass if you stand further back from the glass and zoom in I get less reflection. Also, if the lighting allows I find its best to leave the flash off. Hope you enjoy your new spider. Its amazing how much fun you can have watching their peculiar habits
                www.flickr.com/photos/craigmackay/sets

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Working...
                X