• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dropping legs?

tarantula dropping legs? I never saw this before
    maybe sumone know what this can be?
    I got Chromatopelma~2.75"
    and its dropping legs, not an injury (absolutely sure)
    before leg get dropped its been hold straight up for few hours
    its not flexible and very stiff
    I never saw anything like it I inspect bowel under scope so is dropped leg, no internal parasites found
    nothing
    what this can be
    this is add

Hello Anastasia, welcome to the forum.
    When did the tarantula last moult it's skin? And was the moult totally normal?
    Sometimes when juveniles moult, they suffer tight areas at the bases of their legs, as their growth can be quite dramatic between moults (I've seen it a couple of times with Chromatopelma Cyaneo's here).
    This can cause a constriction sufficient enough that following a moult the affected legs may be cast off as they have stopped functioning due to lacking flow of haemolymph to the leg over a prolonged period. So whilst there may not appear to be damage as if the spider had been injured in a fall, it may just be that strangulation on the leg was enough for it to become useless.

Comment

I have had adult P. fasciata drop legs, only thing might have been to High Humidity (not all spiders require high humidity all the time, especailly ones which come from areas with dry seasons.

Welcome to the site

Ray

Comment

Ive noticed a spider (G aureostriata) cast a leg after a small "slip" where the leg was bent backwards on landing, the leg showed no external damage but was cast the next day.
        Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Originally posted by Louise~Nichols View Post
          Hello Anastasia, welcome to the forum.
          When did the tarantula last moult it's skin? And was the moult totally normal?
          Sometimes when juveniles moult, they suffer tight areas at the bases of their legs, as their growth can be quite dramatic between moults (I've seen it a couple of times with Chromatopelma Cyaneo's here).
          This can cause a constriction sufficient enough that following a moult the affected legs may be cast off as they have stopped functioning due to lacking flow of haemolymph to the leg over a prolonged period. So whilst there may not appear to be damage as if the spider had been injured in a fall, it may just be that strangulation on the leg was enough for it to become useless.
          Thank you,
          she was due to molt, all her siblings molted month or two ago, her previous molt was fine
          anyway shes gone
          I appreciate all replies

Comment

you mean she died? really sorry to hear if so!
            wish the circumstances were better (if i didn't misunderstand you) but welcome to the forum...

on the subject of dropping legs, i discovered my B albiceps missing its right I and II legs, but this has in no way impeded its flighty and skittish temperament! standing is a bit rough though, you can tell.

also, i noticed my Lycosa sp "orange fronted possibly" with both its IV legs missing last night! i saw no sign of them in the tank, either...

thankfully they can grow the legs back!
            Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
            -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
            My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

James, we have had spiders eat cast legs.
              spider woman at Wilkinsons

Comment

that's likely what happened, no wasted protein then
                Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
                My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Originally posted by James Box View Post
                  you mean she died? really sorry to hear if so!
                  wish the circumstances were better (if i didn't misunderstand you) but welcome to the forum...

on the subject of dropping legs, i discovered my B albiceps missing its right I and II legs, but this has in no way impeded its flighty and skittish temperament! standing is a bit rough though, you can tell.

also, i noticed my Lycosa sp "orange fronted possibly" with both its IV legs missing last night! i saw no sign of them in the tank, either...

thankfully they can grow the legs back!
                  Thank you for welcome
                  yes, unfortunately after dropping 4 legs and looks like all her back legs what ever was left was like paralyzed, she past on
                  I did an exam no external parasites was found
                  I also took numerous samples and viewed them under scope no internal parasites was found is well
                  so, I have to think its chemical or other problem

Comment

Working...
                  X