No announcement yet.

Tubing in substrate to hold moisture???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubing in substrate to hold moisture???

Hi all,just need a bit of advice,been speaking to a friend who's kept Ts for years and he said i should place some tubing down the side of the substrate to keep humidity up for my cobalt blue.The tank ive got it in is full of condensation already.Do i need to stop this and keep the bottom layers of substrate moist or am i doing it right already.thanks

Youshould have the humidity around 75-85 for a lividium. If you've got condensation I'd say you've got too much water. What's the temperature like? I've never heard of tubing myself but If you want to try it then please let us know how you get on!
    sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Temperature is around 80-82 degrees.Is this correct?I haven't actually wet the substrate (peat+spagnum mix) yet the tank still steams up.how can i stop the condensation?

Comment

Hi, yes 80-82 is fine. Are you running a heat mat on the tank? What I'm thinking is that if you are then the air inside the tank is much warmer (possibly) than the air outside. With the humidity that means condensation. It shouldn't be a problem unless there are mites in the soil. If you don't have one I'd get a small hydronometer, the Exo Tera ones only c9st £2.50 from the spider shop. Other wise things sound ok.
        sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

No i dont use heat mats i use light as a source of heat.Your theory on the different temps in and out of the tank sounds a good explanation,thanks.i'm gonna try the tubing and invest in a hygrometer i'll let every one know how i get on with the tubing

Comment

I've never heard of tubing aiding humidity but I'd be interested to know why it would affect it.
            To raise humidity I make sure the temperatures are warm as suggested above, the substrate is moist and within the substrate is moisture holding elements eg. chopped sphagnum moss and vermiculite.
            To reduce your condensation probs you might want to provide some ventilation as lack of it will certainly lead to problems. A mesh lid for a glass tank or holes punctured into plastic tubs is the more common approach. I trust you haven't put the tank next to a window where sunlight enters as this will certainly create condensation and probably put your T in jeopardy.
            My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

The tubing my mate was talking about was to pour water down to keep the bottom layers of substrate damp.It isn't near any windows so i think my problem must be ventilation.the tank has a hinged metal fishtank hood on it so loads of surface area to cut out!Just hope the little mentalist don't get out.lol

Comment

I used to use tubing and a layer of gravel under the substrate as a means of keeping the bottom area damp, but now i find just overflowing a water bowl in a corner gives the same result to be honest.

If you're going to cut an area out the lid the Aluminium mesh sold for car repair is great for hot gluing to the lid.

Keep us up to date with the progress mate.
                Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Working...
                X