Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mature male P. rufilata in community tank!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mature male P. rufilata in community tank!

I've never bred any tarantula and hadn't considered doing so without more experience gained. However it appears that within my 3 x Poecilotheria rufilata community I now have a recently moulted male, showing signs of being far more active, a little drumming, red emboli but so far no sign of a sperm web. I'm no good at sexing but its obvious he's quite differently formed to the other 2 - slender legs and smaller abdomen.
    If we assume the other 2 are female (for hypothetical reasons) what would be the advice of experienced pokie keepers/breeders concerning leaving him with the others? All 3 are from the same sack, they're all approaching 6", they're very communal showing displays of very close contact and moulting. They cohabitate one of the cork tubes within a 12x12x18" Exo-terra although the male has now been seen in the 2nd cork tube.

A history of how I've kept these, with pix of their enclosures and the rufilata can be found here:

What I'd like to do is leave them together and hopefully the male will breed with both females and each of them will adopt one of the cork tubes to lay an egg sack. I'd then let the females take care until the sac showed signs of slings. Sound unrealistic?
    If its the case that the male has matured before the females then I guess I may have to remove him, or could I leave things as they are? What if another of the rufilata turns out to be a male?
    Any help and opinions greatly appreciated.
    My Collection - Summer 2011

Hi Peter,
    you really have 2 options and no reason to worry. First you could send him out on breeding loan, get some little ones and let ther others grow. Or second leave him in there while the others mature, they won't fight at this stage. (the only fights I've seen in my limited experience are between mature females). Hope this helps
    Last edited by Nicola Dolby; 18-07-08, 11:00 AM.
    sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Thanks Nicola. There's been no sign of fighting, far from it but obviously I watch out for signs of intolerance.
      Of course my next question is how do I figure when the females are mature, I hadn't expected any maturity at this stage but in 5 months they've nearly trippled their size!

Comment

I'd take 16/17cm legspan as a fair size, though they'll grow much bigger. These a very big spiders Peter and adult male size can be deceptive.

Comment

Thanks Nicola, they're not too far off that at mo at full LS, I'm informed they can grow as much as 23cm. I feel a little more confident now but if the females get much bigger I may consider removing one.

Comment

Try removing the male instead if the females get funny with each other. They might settle after that. For now I'd leave them where they are. As for 23cm, we'll see!!!!!!!

Comment

Last Sunday night for the first time in quite a while all 3 of my rufilata were out. Perhaps it had something to do with a moult as I found some legs strewn over their enclosure. However, about a week ago I found a full moult and discovered I now have 2 mature males. It therefore suggests that the mature male was looking after the female whilst she moulted and once moulted all 3 were out on display. Formerly I'd only seen the mature male prancing around the enclosure.
              So, a pic of all 3 (blurred male at front, prob male in middle and hopefully female at top left) on display.

Probably the 2nd mature male

Hopefully this one will turn out to be female

We're hoping to catch these males at the Essex meet on Sun 7th Sept and have them taken away for breeding. Fingers crossed.

Comment

I would remove the male ASAP.

What seems to happen with P. rufilata is that if there is a male present females tend to go into moults quicker, and die after 2 or 3 consecutive ones, I mean move the male to another room or house (i need a male).

then make sure there is plenty of food incase both females decide to amke eggsacs.

BTW you are venturing into virgin territory

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Gabriel View Post
                  I would remove the male ASAP.

What seems to happen with P. rufilata is that if there is a male present females tend to go into moults quicker, and die after 2 or 3 consecutive ones, I mean move the male to another room or house (i need a male).

then make sure there is plenty of food incase both females decide to amke eggsacs.

BTW you are venturing into virgin territory

Ray
                  Hi Ray, thanks for your response.
                  All 3 (2 males 1 female) seem very content at mo although I have had a few unfounded worries along the way. Since the recent moult all of them have been more active, and no surprise the males are both out each evening.
                  This weekend I've organised a gathering of enthusiasts and I'm hoping that Colin Wilson will be guiding me through removing both males. One is promised to him and the other is promised to a friend of Stuart Longhorn. I'll put you down as next on the list unless I don't get a reply from Stuart.
                  I've never heard of the repeated moulting that you suggest, very interesting, but obviously a concern.
                  As for virgin territory, well I guess the experiment will be over when the males are removed unless I find the female has mated (doubtful considering they're from the same sac). I've hoovered up as much info as possible and admittedly taken risks, sometimes going against people's recommendations, but its been a fabulous experiment which I'd love to repeat. They've been so communal, completely docile and an absolute pleasure to watch. It will be interesting to see how my other communities develop.

Comment

A big thanks to Colin Wilson who showed his deft hand at removing both males at the Essex Meet. Watched on by a few visitors including James Box and my daughter.

A big thanks goes out to Colin for his help (and showmanship) and I'm told mating has occurred already. Apparently he was drumming so much that there was a drumming chorus from various other pokies, LOL.
                    Fingers crossed its successful and the 2nd mature male (presently looking very active) is as productive.

Comment

Working...
                    X