a.metallica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a.metallica

hi guys. i have purchased some a.metallica and was just wondering, can they be colonised in the same way the a.avicularia can??
    THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Zs far as I'm aware no, try A. minatrix for that. All the best.
    sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

I asked Ray Gabriel a while back about community Avics and he said minatrix were the most successful and others were successful for the first few moults. He also mentioned success with true A. avicularia sp. guyanna.

Avics have a tendency to become cannibalistic according to most people so they're often referred to as co-habitating rather than displaying the communal tendencies of Pokies.

Out of curiousity where did you get your A. metallica? and how much. I've heard indirectly from Ray that these might be larger versions of A. avic.
      My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

wouldn't it be interesting, Peter, if Matthew's sp. "metallica" was the same as our sp "metallica?"
        it'd be fantastic to get verification and see if some breeding can be done safely.
        Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
        -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lacey View Post

Out of curiousity where did you get your A. metallica? and how much. I've heard indirectly from Ray that these might be larger versions of A. avic.
          hi peter, lee at the spider shop is selling sub adults for £27.99
          THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lacey View Post
            I asked Ray Gabriel a while back about community Avics and he said minatrix were the most successful and others were successful for the first few moults. He also mentioned success with true A. avicularia sp. guyanna.
            Just to tidy a couple of points up Peter, the Avicularia sp "Guyana" also became cannibalistic,

[/QUOTE] Avics have a tendency to become cannibalistic according to most people so they're often referred to as co-habitating rather than displaying the communal tendencies of Pokies. [/QUOTE]

I would say that Avics are more "Social" that they will live in thier own "homes" in a group in a large container as opposed to Pokes which tend to be "communual" living in a "commune" in a smaller environment, and rapidly go cannibalistic in a larger environment/container.

[/QUOTE] Out of curiousity where did you get your A. metallica"? and how much. I've heard indirectly from Ray that these might be larger versions of A. avicularia. [/QUOTE]

The species we have had in the past as A. metallica were larger than what we have had recently as Avicularia sp "avicularia".

At present though no one can say what is what with any of the Avicularia species with the exception of the "famous five" A. minatrix, A. versicolour, A. purpurea, A. laeta, and A. hirshi.

Avicualria sp "Fasciculata" although a very distinctive species has not had the species confirmed so cannot really be regarded as a "true/valid" identifed species yet, same with the real Avicualria sp "Amazonica".

Ray

Comment

once again a great explanation Ray, thanks for helping to clear things up.

One day I'll attempt that "social" Avic enclosure, probably with A. minatrix, lots of hiding places and plenty of tubes.
              My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

well thanks for all the responses guys, i think i will maybe just stick with one, alot easier lol.

Comment

we paid quite alot less, didn't we Peter?
                  but yeah, doubtful what species they are...at this stage.

Ray...is anything going to happen with reclassifying Avics?
                  i mean given that the original types were African arboreals as per the recent BTS article?
                  that was bizarre and fascinating.
                  was thinking since alot will change as the Genus is sorted, perhaps it's time we stopped calling them Avicularia, as they're hardly of a size to eat birds regularly lol
                  Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                  -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by James Box View Post
                    Ray...is anything going to happen with reclassifying Avics?
                    It is happening as we speak, one very brave person is actually working on a genus revision ; come to think of it i have not heard from her in a while??? It has been suggested many times that a revision of Avicularia will drive you mad

[/QUOTE] i mean given that the original types were African arboreals as per the recent BTS article? that was bizarre and fascinating. [/QUOTE]

One was tarrestrial, AH but were they the real origonal types or was there more??? ya see ?? read the last couple of lines of that article again (I wanted to call it part 1 and 2), we decided to leave it on a cliff hanger so to speak, there is more to come on these.

[/QUOTE] was thinking since alot will change as the Genus is sorted, perhaps it's time we stopped calling them Avicularia, as they're hardly of a size to eat birds regularly lol [/QUOTE]

You should see some of them, easily take sparrows and finches never mind about the humming birds (one Avicularia sp "hurriana" I saw could easily have taken an adult quail, but would the fangs get through the feathers and would the venom be fast acting enough??) Most of the stuff that will change are the species which have been described from pet trade material, and never compared against any types

Ray

Comment

some surprising stuff there Ray...i didn't realise Avics take birds like that!
                      i take back my comment then
                      good to know someone's working on it, though it's liable to take her sanity! what a noble sacrifice to make
                      guess i misread that article a bit lol...will take another look...
                      -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Working...
                      X