GBB - I have an egg sack! What next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GBB - I have an egg sack! What next?

My GBB has completely sealed herself away for the past fortnight, she put a very heavy veil of silk over her pot which makes it hard to see in.

last night, she was close to the front of the pot and she was holding an egg sack! hard to make ou the details through the silk, but I would say it was about the size of a large grape, possibly larger.

For those experienced in hatching egg sacks, what would you recommend I do next? I've read up on artificial incubation, and whilst I understand the methods involved, it does seem that there can be a high fatality rate for beginners if not done correctly. I'm thinking that maybe 'Mother knows best' and I should just leave the egg sack alone? I'm just a little nervous that after all i've been through it may get eaten.

Will my GBB stay sealed away for the entire incubation period, or will she make herself visible at some point?

I think a big congratulations is in order, well done.
    I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice and you may find it beneficial to contact someone who has also bred this species.
    From what I've read the most important thing is to avoid disturbing her, that seems to be the biggest cause of them turning to eating the sac.
    My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Big congrats to you! Tried pairing my GBB and all the male did was run! lol

Leave her completely undisturbed. After about 30 days you could pull it and incubate it... But i think other people could advise you further.

Comment

I seem to recall there is a relatively recent article on breeding this species in the Journal, by Mikhail (from Russia). It might be an idea to contact hime, he posts regularly on the T store.

Mark

Comment

Congratulations! We definitely need more of this species.

Can't really advise on what to do. I've just gotten my first sac as well, and am going to leave it with mum for 30 days then incubate.

I am probably going to try breeding GBBs soon myself. Do you mind if I contact you for details on how you prepared and managed the breeding process?

Comment

She came out for a breath of fresh air this evening.

Comment

Working...
            X