rehoming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rehoming

hello one and all....been a while since i posted,life has a way of kicking you in the nuts and well the rest along with my girlfriend is history lol!!,anyhow yesterday saw me tryiing to rehome 2 of my Ts,my pokie striata sling,about 4cm now and my 2cm thai black,now i was quite weary about moving my pokie knowing how fast they can be but he/she behaved like a star and it went without incedent,that cant be said for that lil horror that has become satan MK2{hi naython hows the cobalt doing,satan MK1}.....having finally got the bugger into its new plastic cage thingy i was holding it up infront of me when the lid came off covering me in coia and a very angry 2cm sling......he then proceeded to run 5ft accross the carpet before i caught it and imprisoned it again....let that be a lesson,my 9inch goliath never gives me any trouble its the little buggers that do lol,,,,,peace to all
    all those moments will be lost in time.....like tears........in rain

welcome back Scott!
    sounds like fun with slings yesterday!
    i dread rehousing a few of my speedier ones...and i'm going to have to rehouse my new minax this weekend...however she was a star going into the temporary tub. she's a big girl though, so a bit nervous
    Pokies are fast but i think they are slightly more deliberate in movement and less flighty. just from what i've seen and heard...
    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

i rehoused 4 of my arborial ones last night which was fun i had no problems with the Heteroscodra maculata or the Poecilotheria rufilata but the two bigger juveniles were a bit more challenging , I was moving them from bun case tubs into jars so they had more hight too play in . The Cyriopagopus schioedtei decided it wanted too give me the run around on the living room floor ( Its one of the few times i have seen it fully and its starting too look like a real beauty now) but i managed too catch it easily . The Pterinochilus murinuswas not happy with the fact it was being guided into a bigger home which it needed badly and just wouldn't go where i wanted it too , nearly as stubborn as the kids are during the summer holidays (roll on term time yay we lose another one too school)

Comment

Are there any tricks when rehousing to tempt burrowing Ts out of their burrows? I've not had to do this yet but the day will come when my Pterinochilus murinus needs to be rehomed. At the moment it spends all day, and possibly all night in an impressive but pretty impregnable looking silk lined burrow. In fact the only sign that there is even anything in the burrow is that food disappears down and every so often a new skin appears in the web every few months! It must be very happy.

Phil

Comment

If digging T's out is anything like digging scorpions out.... VERY CAREFULLY! lol!

Comment

rehoming

i did have to dig my pokie out gently with a spoon,but it just went with the flow and curled up as if nothing was happening....i hope this good behaviour stays into adulthood lol......my orange starburst very rarely is seen having dug a burrow in its new exo terra home,i decided that even tho its only around 8cm itd get homed in its permanent new terrarium so i didnt have to move it again,its now in a 30cmx30cmx45cm exo terra and i never see it,and i had fun putting it in there as it ran up the wall and took some catching!!!!!..talking of exo terra homes my smithi seems to spend alot of time hanging from the wire mesh roof,which is sometimes abit worrying as ive had to rescue her afew times when she gets a "foot" stuck in the mesh....anyone else had this problem???...with theyre Ts not themselves!!!!....peace to all.
            all those moments will be lost in time.....like tears........in rain

Comment

I keep my G. Rosea in one of the 30x30x30 exo terra tanks with the wire mesh. She used to climb up to the mesh occasionally but shes never got stuck. I always saved her to be on the safe side though. I was a bit worried bout the height though so I raised the substrate up to prevent her falling to far. Means I can't use the front doors anymore but Ive got a safer T so I'm happy. She's now made a huge six inch burrow down one side of the tank but she only uses it to escape the sun during the afternoon. She still likes to show herself off the rest off the time which is great
              www.flickr.com/photos/craigmackay/sets

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Wilson View Post
                Are there any tricks when rehousing to tempt burrowing Ts out of their burrows? I've not had to do this yet but the day will come when my Pterinochilus murinus needs to be rehomed. At the moment it spends all day, and possibly all night in an impressive but pretty impregnable looking silk lined burrow. In fact the only sign that there is even anything in the burrow is that food disappears down and every so often a new skin appears in the web every few months! It must be very happy.

Phil
                Hi Phil
                If all else fails you can flood out the burrow by adding tepid water to the opposite side of the tank and as the water level rises the "T" comes out
                thats the theory but be prepared with your spoon for a fast excavation if the burrow collapses
                Other than that you could attach a cricket to something long and wiggle it at the entrance to the burrow see if your "T" comes out to play with it then block the burrow behind it with card etc

Good luck with it
                Clinton

Maxine 9 - 9.5 inch Lasiodora Parahybana
                -------------------------------------------------------
                Pet charity site http://www.sponsoracat.org.uk/

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. Looks like the spoon approach is going to be best though idea of "fishing" with a cricket appeals to me, only because I've got that sort of sense of humour.

I'm even half tempted to do the move soon just so I can find out what the thing looks like. LOL.

Phil

Comment

I flood out my burrowers, but they don't tend to come out, they disapear under the water.
                    My H schmidti was the first and I panicked when she disapeared, so as I had a pot over the old burrow entrance we spooned her into the pot from below.
                    My H gigas just totally disapeared, I ended up with a peat soup trying to hunt him out and no T. In the end I lost patience and slung the whole gigas mixture into a very large garden tub and there he was! paddling about in half an inch of peaty water. I just slapped a pot on him and caught him easily.
                    Neither of them showed any aggression...... they were too bothered about the sudden monsoon season I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X