Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arboreal tanks

Hello All,

it's me again to irritate you all - haha!

So I want to make a really nice european style planted terrarium for the much discussed P.regalis. I am looking at the exoterra range of tanks, or get my lovely tank maker to build one for me. In regards to heating the exoterra, would you spider gurus recomend heat mat underneath (will depth of substrate matter - breakages...) or on a side wall? obviously not the back as it has that fetching polystyrene 3d background.

Any tips on good plant species would be very welcome aswell!
    On the off chance which is the largest species of the Poecilotheria tribe, I thought it was ornata, but wanted to know your opinions.

thanks all for your time,

Guy

As far as i know spider plants are some of the safest all round live plants to use. They offer something to climb on (when established) as well as good cover
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

I like the Exo-terra glass tanks because the offer plenty of ventilation and the ability to enter from the top or front. If you decide to have a deep substrate so that you don't use the doors you can put that side to the back. However, getting a custom made enclosure will enable much more scope.
      If your house is warm enough there's no need for a heater but if you have one of those Bronté sisters houses you could use a heat mat to either the side or the bottom, some people even put them on top. Personally I'd ditch the foam backing as crickets can get behind it and die, plus it don't look convincing to my eye. You may have seen this already but here's how I decorated my P. rufilata Exo enclosure:

If you really want to go to town check out this guys vids. well worth a watch:
      Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Plants, doh! I created a list of plants on another forum but I can't remember where LOL. If you're going to use real plants check out his vids again. Find plants that don't grow too much, too high and don't require much light or maintenance. The only one I can remember is Mother-in-Laws Tounge but there's a common trailing tropical plant very suitable.
      My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

as far as i'm aware, exo terra make their vivs so that you can put a heatmat down the back.
        the general consensus so far as i'm aware is not to put a heatmat underneath, as spiders burrow down to get away from the heat...if they by instinct try that, they could accidentally roast or hurt themselves, if something went wrong.
        of course, from what i've heard, the absolute best method (to mimick nature) is ambient heating in the room, or a light shining down from above (not too close i would guess to avoid accidentally burning the spider)...however not all of us can manage that, so a heatmat down the back or along the side should be ok.
        Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
        -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->

Comment

LOL James, it wouldn't matter if the heatmat was underneath the Exo when we consider he's looking at an arboreal set-up

Comment

lol i know it sounds strange, but nearly every arboreal i've seen heads either up or down when spooked...if down, they go down into a hole they've dug, hence my reason for mentioning it...

that being said, having it right next to the glass has the same degree of danger if not more...but if it's behind that foam decor, it should at least be insulated a bit, i'd expect...?
            Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
            -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Wow thanks guys!! great info!

The spider plant sounds interesting - thanks lisa, i shall see if there is a non variagated cultiva!

Peter thanks for the lovely pic and info, i shall watch the vids now. I think the tropical trailer you maybe thinking of might be pothos AKA Scindapsis aureaum. had a bit of a nose about, I had never thought of a sanseveria, might even encourage the old girl to make a shelter in one of the unfurling leaves, ala avicularia & banana leaves - a thought occurs, maybe a dwrf banana plant...probably running away with myself there.

And last but not least, james, thanks for the heatmat cautions, I have never ever thought they get warm enough to burn - they never seemed warm enough to me. well lives and learns don't you. I was more worried about the thing cracking the glass, deep substrata and all.haha.

I meant to say, i am amazed that some of you spider peeps can keep your 'piders without heating, I most definitely have to, but then my house is very cold, I envy not having to do so!! hahaha,

thanks again,

I shall post some piccies, when it is done for your considerations.

best,

Guy

Comment

sorry mate, i didn't mean it'll burn them as is, but i've heard of malfunctions, where they get burning hot.
                luckily hasn't happened to me, and hopefully won't to you.
                -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

The exo terra tanks have a raised bottom which makes it difficult to attach a heat mat. But as mentioned above your best to avoid heating the substrate too much although I find that not much heat gets through the glass to the inside. I have a heat mat on the side but I have a warm house in summer so its never on these days.
                  www.flickr.com/photos/craigmackay/sets

Comment

Pothos, yep that's the baby!

You can apply the heatmat to the bottom with tape or a piece of polystyrene. Best idea is to set-up your enclosure first and test the temperatures over the course of a few days, with heatmat at bottom and side. Remember, you're not trying to roast your T, merely providing a small climb (or perhaps in your case, a giant leap) up the temperature gauge.

Comment

Myself I use Exo-Terra. You can heat from a specially built area at the back, if you use a thermostat you can regulate the temp so the spid is safe. Of course room temp is best. Be careful with natural plants as crickets might decide to eat them! P. Ornata is the largest Poecilotheria yes, but not very sociable! All the best.
                      sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

hello Nicola,

Thanks for the tips there. I use cockroaches to feed my regalis as I am hoping for them to breed themselves....I am awaiting the Blaptica dubia explosion that everyone talks about so fingers crossed. thanks for clearing up the ornata query too.

toodles,

Guy

Comment

Working...
                        X