Sealed in!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sealed in!

Hi all, brand new member with a question.
    Just got a juvenile cobalt a week ago and after a day or two in its new surroundings it has dug a hole at the front of a glass jar laid on its side and then spun a sheet web which has sealed it in to the jar / hole. Is this normal and will it come out when it is ready / hungry etc?
    Also, the chap in the shop guessed it was a female due to the size of its abdomen, is this even slightly accurate?
    Cheers.

I got one a few weeks ago and it did the same.Think its natural as they live underground and are quite a secretive sp. anyway.Dont think size of abdomen has anything to do with sex just how much its fed lol.

Comment

Welcome to the forum! Don't worry, its perfectly normal. They have the nickname of the pet hole. If it's happy you'll never see it! I'm sure if you leave a cricket or two in overnight you'll wake up to find they're gone. Type in 'haplopelma lividum caresheet' into your search engine and you'll get loads of care info. I've never owned one but from what I've heard, prepare for an absolutely psycho spider

As for sexing the only way to get an accurate sex is to examine its moults although as far as I'm aware tarantula's body shape can give some clues. Females tend to have larger abdomens whilst males have longer legs in comparison to their body.

There's plenty more experienced keepers on the forum that'll be able to help you out with first hand experience. I'm sure you'll get some more replies soon.

Enjoy
      www.flickr.com/photos/craigmackay/sets

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Just consulted our Matthew. Yes they do make some awesome structures with their silk. His has enough substrate but she has decided to build the tube right up to the lid!!!

but we noticed with his T that the only time it closes off the entrance with a shed load of silk is when it is getting ready for a shed. So you may have a spanking new looking spider soon!

And yeah this is a pretty full on tarantula... even the slightest drop of water onto the silk will have it running at ya. And admit its made me scream girly like a few times. You're in for some 'interesting times' I tell ya lol!
        My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

although as far as I'm aware tarantula's body shape can give some clues. Females tend to have larger abdomens whilst males have longer legs in comparison to their body.

Body shape will give no clue whatsoever to the spiders sex unless it is an ultimate male in which case it will be more 'leggy' and have hooks on the front legs and also mature male lividums are brown whereas the females are blue

Alex

You have just bought yourself a pet hole, you may be lucky and see it once or twice a year and the chap in the shop was talking out of their backside.

Comment

try again

please forgive all the rubbish while I crack this resizing game.

Moderators Note: 1st image attempt deleted Alex, hope you don't mind but Handling photos are a bit of a no-no
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Colin D Wilson; 11-08-08, 08:25 PM.

Comment

As usual,

People in pet shops telling you what you want to hear to make a few pounds. Abdomen size is useless looking for a fused or paired spermathecae on the moulted skin is only way to sex tarantulas unless, as Peter said, it is a mature male with slim abdomen, long legs, tibial hooks and bulbs on his palps. Some tarantulas can look just like a female right up until their maturing moult, huge abdomen, then next thing it has moulted and it looks completely different. But with Lividums, the overall blue iridescence is alot more intense on the females.

Michael..
              2xB.vagans, B.smithi, 2x L.parahybana, L.polycuspulatus, G.aureostriata, C.fasciatum, B.albopilosum, B.boehmei, P.pulcher, H.maculata, C.crawshayi, L.violaceopes, C.cyanopubescens, 3xP.irminia, 2xP.murinus RCF, 2xP.cambridgei, C.fimbriatus, C.schioedtei, A.pupurea, A.azuraklassi, A.versicolor, H.lividum, P.reduncus.

Comment

Cheers Michael

Yeah cheers mate, sorry if I threw you off the track, the pics are of Esmerelda my chile rose, I was trying to work out how to scale pics. Here are a few of Bosh! my lividum.
                Attached Files

Comment

You threw me off track too matey.

I deleted my post so i didn't look too much an idiot

Nice lividum though, my females gone to live with someone who wanted one more than me now, although i may be tempted to get a few slings to grow on again, just to watch the colour change.
                  Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Me too mate,

Just thought I would say just incase you got robbed by the pet store LOL!!!

Cheers,

Michael..
                    2xB.vagans, B.smithi, 2x L.parahybana, L.polycuspulatus, G.aureostriata, C.fasciatum, B.albopilosum, B.boehmei, P.pulcher, H.maculata, C.crawshayi, L.violaceopes, C.cyanopubescens, 3xP.irminia, 2xP.murinus RCF, 2xP.cambridgei, C.fimbriatus, C.schioedtei, A.pupurea, A.azuraklassi, A.versicolor, H.lividum, P.reduncus.

Comment

Working...
                    X