Seconded! welcome back

------------------------------------------------------
    Serious Ink tattoo studio -
    Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Rea View Post
      Cheers Colin
      No problems, you've been missed by many mate!!
      I know precious little about Haplopelma.
      you and me both,
      Try and get in touch with someone like Volker von Wirth, Boris Striffler, or Søren Rafn. I'm sure they'd be able to swiftly point you in the right direction
      Absolutely, this was to be a point of call at some point, i'm not intending to breed from her in the near future so no real rush.
      Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Pennell View Post
        Seconded! welcome back
        Cheers Mark. Good to be back

My Collection:

Comment

Looks like Ornithoctonus aureotibialis

Regards
          Søren

Originally posted by Colin D Wilson View Post
          The sp. vietnam was a guesstimate an associate had on mine, I'm still not quite sure..

Comment

Could be, the leg stripes are faint though. I thought that the only Haplopelma with leg stripes was the albostriatum, though again I know little about them. As for the spid with the green carapace, I don't know what it is but where did you get it, I want one!
            sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Originally posted by Søren Rafn View Post
              Looks like Ornithoctonus aureotibialis

Regards
              Søren
              Thanks for the input Søren,

My specimen has a 6+ inch legspan, is it still feasible that this may be Ornithoctonus aureotibialis?? as most desciptions of this species state around 5 inch LS.

Comment

Picture of my Ornithoctonus aureotibialis female for comparison.

My Collection:

Comment

Mines lacking the orange setae but visually they're quite similar to be honest, think i need to get her in someones hands that knows really

Comment

Mines lacking the orange setae but visually they're quite similar to be honest, think i need to get her in someones hands that knows really
                    Probably the best course of action mate.

The orange setae are a key feature on O. aureotibialis though - Ornithoctonus aureotibialis sp. n. can be distinguished from all other Ornithoctonus species by an orange – golden fringe of hairs on retrolateral side of patella and tibia of leg I and II. - von Wirth and Striffler (2005).

They can get fairly faint when the spider is in need of a moult if I remember correctly. She doesn't come out of her burrow very often

My Collection:

Comment

Hmmm, orange setae are apparent on leg II, leg I seems to be void of them as does the "fringe" to the carapace (as in your picture). Then again, as you say, a moult could be on the cards, eating well at the mo though so time will tell

Comment

Size quotes in descriptions are averages of adult specimens - not maximums Phil is partially right about the yellow fringes as they are the best hint to the species "at a glance", but to be sure you need to check the taxonomic character combinations as the yellow fringes can be vague or lack entirely. They are particularly conspicuous in juveniles and subadult males whereas females tend to darken with age. The yellow fringes are furthermore found in Ornithoctonus sp. "Koh Samui" which may be a species on its own or an island subspecies of O. aureotibialis. The size and the presence of yellow setae retrolaterally on patella and tibia indicates O. aureotibialis though - as the adults of O. sp. "Koh Samui" is considerably smaller

Regards
                        Søren

Comment

Thank you again Søren,

Seems to be "hinting" towards the O. aureotibialis

I think i will wait till she moults and take her to the Lectures for the more familiar keepers of the Genus to pass judgement before i consider aquiring a male.

Comment

for the more familiar keepers of the Genus

If you are in doubt you can send me an exuviae

Friendly
                            Søren

Comment

I will contact you for an address when i have an exuvium.

Thanks very much Søren

Comment

Working...
                              X