No announcement yet.

Microcrickets - how to catch them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we found gaffer tape with fish food stuck too it works well for microcrickets but i wouldn't try that in the spiders tank just in case
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

With all my crix no matter the size or type i use tweezers due to loosing a few bids for freedom.

or i slow them down with putting them in my reptile/arachnid fridge with my mice/rats/mealies/maggots and so on.

Comment

Found this and thought it may be of interest.... I'm making one tonight...

Click the pic for the site and instructions

My "T" Collection:

Comment

I got flightless fruit flies instead!
          They're slower so easier to catch. Still a pain though, they move faster than you'd expect and they can jump so when you open the lid 40 all jump out at once(and unlike crickets they don't run for cover, they just...run). I do this in the bath so they're easier to catch but I still find strays behind the taps and stuff later on.

I'm thinking squat maggots might be the way forward... as long as I don't have to cut them into bits

Comment

Originally posted by Gayle E. Anderson View Post
            They're slower so easier to catch. Still a pain though, they move faster than you'd expect and they can jump so when you open the lid 40 all jump out at once(and unlike crickets they don't run for cover, they just...run). I do this in the bath so they're easier to catch but I still find strays behind the taps and stuff later on.

I'm thinking squat maggots might be the way forward... as long as I don't have to cut them into bits
            I would like to try squat maggots...Does anyone know a site that sends them mail order?

Comment

Heres a site where you can buy maggots from but have to buy 1pint up, hope that helps

Comment

I get mine from fishing shop, can get small quantities
                spider woman at Wilkinsons

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Coe View Post
                  Found this and thought it may be of interest.... I'm making one tonight...

Click the pic for the site and instructions

how do you find a drill a little bit smaller than 3/8" lol

and I'm certain I saw a bloke fitted with something like this in the hospital, perhaps they are available on the NHS lol

Comment

Originally posted by Jennifer Whalley View Post
                    Heres a site where you can buy maggots from but have to buy 1pint up, hope that helps

http://www.wormsdirectuk.co.uk/acatalog/Maggots.html
                    Thanks Jennifer, I could probably use a pint of them as I have a few slings at the moment, plus I do dabble in a spot of fishing too!

I would have used a tackle shop Mary but they have all closed down round my area? I think it maybe something to do with this credit crunch and lack of fisherman due to the cold months...Anglers these days are wimps!

Comment

i use a cricket catching device as described in the BTS journal some time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Eduard Johan Hijmensen View Post
                        i use a cricket catching device as described in the BTS journal some time ago.
                        If i remember right you had a problem with mixing up imperial and metric measurements

Colin

Click here if anyone wants to read Eddys' classic thread.
                        Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

oh that is hilarious!!!!!

im gunna be giggling at that all evening now
                          My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Originally posted by Gayle E. Anderson View Post

Gah I am thinking this even more now after yesterdays shower.

I had to remove about 8 fruit flies from the bath while I was showering.
                            Why haven't they drowned?! Thats not the first time the shower has been used since I fed my T's!!! One of them I even fished out a bubble of water, though it must be dead but NO as soon as I lifted it the damn thing just continued on its marching mission. Grr.

Fortunately my boyfriend doesn't wear his specs in the shower which would explain why he doesn't seem to have spotted any escapees (yet!)

Comment

Working...
                            X