G.Rosea - Advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.Rosea - Advice please

Trying not to worry about my sub-adult female G.Rosea too much but what is the longest anyone knows of that they havent eaten (or moulted during that time)?

Am coming up to 5 months now with still no sign of a moult and her refusing food (she either pins the prey down but doesn't bite and releases it when she's bored or shows no interest to begin with and walks away. Have tried different sizes of crickets, mealworms and locusts but with no sucess.

Her abdomen hasn't shrunk noticibably and she still seems fairly active. Have visually checked her fangs and they look fine, not broken or chipped.

Her temps and humidity are fine (85-75 and around 65-70%) in the viv, she drinks occaisionally and seems in good health. No signs of mites on her or in the viv, book lungs are clear.

So my question is, when do I start worrying?

the answer to your question is dont worry. many different species, partyicularly the g.rosea fast. this may be due to the fact that in their natural habitat, there isnt much food around at this time of year. i have had g.rosea go for longer than this without food, what you will find is that she will have stored up nutrition before fasting. just keep trying her on food, if she eats it then brilliant but if she doesnt, dont worry
    THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Well over a year for a female not to eat and i have a mature male G rosea that hasn't eaten since he matured in 2006, although he does drink a fair bit of water...one of the few tanks where i keep the water topped up actually.
      Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Thanks for the replies chaps. Makes me feel a bit better!

Comment

Mine went for nearly a year with out eating and quite a few years without moulting, Now shes moulted shes eating like a pig lol. Ive had her 25 years and she is a very strange eater..
          My T's: Grammostola rosea, 2x Brachypelma smithi, Avicularia avicularia, Theraposa blondi, Cyclosternum pentoralis, Poecilotheria metallica

Comment

I was reading today on a US forum about a G. rosea that hadn't eaten for 2 years. It had been left to them by their son and they didn't have much idea how to keep it, so they were completely baffled by fasting. The guy read that they occassionally eat mice so in desperation he went out and bought a fully grown mouse to feed to the rosea. Fascinating photos of a chili on the glass with a full grown white mouse hanging from its fangs.

Fear not Jas, they've been doing this for millions of years.
            My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Working...
            X