chile rose help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chile rose help

Hi, i got my first T today, a chile rose, i wanted this kind because i read it was a good docile starter T. But mine is so quick, and its legs aren't as chunky as all the pictures i have seen. I was just wondering if this is because it is young, and will it settle down, i haven't tried to handle it yet, i am going to let it settle for a few days. If you have had similar experiences please share. Thankyou for any answers

If it's not docile, then don't try and handle it. The BTS don't condone handling for the safety of both the owner and the spider.

I'd suggest that before even thinking of handling, both you and the spider need to be perfectly calm, and you should be aware that spiders, whatever species they are even supposedly docile ones, can be unpredictable

My Collection:

Comment

similar situation.

Hi, I started in a similar way. Got some advice, read up etc and then went and bought a rose, (she's called Esmerelda). Mine was one or two molts from adulthood and quite a good size. She is very docile generally, I have once seen her run across the tank and pounce on a cricket and I have once seen her pick up a cricket and slam it on its head 'cause it was annoying her. Both incidents were shocking 'cause she rarely moves faster than 1"ph. lol.
      Any way, I have a juvy cobalt now that is lightning quick and very skittish! So I would say, in my own experience, the younger the quicker and the more jittery. As for handling, if you wanted an "observation only" you should have got a haplopelma but definately give your T 10 days minimum to settle into it's new home/surroundings/atmosphere. If you really have to handle it, I would say soon after a meal is a good time but don't ever forget the potential.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander Ramsey View Post
        So I would say, in my own experience, the younger the quicker and the more jittery.

Isn't this the case for evrything? Only thing is, young tarantulas don't hang out in gangs wearing hoodies LOL!!
        Gloria my little Brachypelma smithi.

Comment

How big is your chili? with the thinner legs & active character the most obvious thing that comes to mind is you have a mature male. Have a look at the 2 pedipalps (the smaller leg-like appendages at the very front) at the first joint can you see dark balls, similar to a small ball-bearing or boxing glove (google emboli). On the first two legs between the first joint and second can you see small tufts, one on each of these legs (google tibial spurs). If so, you have a mature male which might explain the activity and I'd consider returning it to the shop because its life will now be rather limited.
          Hopefully that's not the case. Chili's have characters of their own and often change on moult so its hard to put a definite "chili character" because so many people have different experiences.
          My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lacey View Post
            Chili's have characters of their own and often change on moult so its hard to put a definite "chili character" because so many people have different experiences.
            that is entirely true Peter.
            i've found the younger the specimens, the last grumpy and prone to bite (haven't been bitten yet, but numerous slings have stepped out of their enclosures onto my hand before i could do anything about it).
            to handle or not to handle...many pro and con arguments are raised...
            i admit to being fairly hands on with some of my calmer T's...but to be honest, i'd say from my own experience and from what i've heard from others that it's best never to handle. (hypocrite alert i know!)
            there are rare times when it might be necessary, but spiders will never get used to it, they'll never be 100% safe in someone's hands (even short falls can kill) and they just aren't going to be tame and recognise you.
            ...oh and you might get nipped, just as an afterthought but the T's safety should be first and foremost. you'll get over a bite...the T may lose its life.
            Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
            -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
            My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

thankyou for all your advice, i know handling is not encouraged, i am just thinking about in the long run having to change substrate or what, being able to get her out that way instead of some methods i've seen of trapping them in half a bottle or something. The lady at pet shop said she is definately female but read everywhere you can't tell. Her body is only about 2.5 inches i'd say so youngish i think, but i am an amateur when it comes to t's. Thankyou for all your comments, and sorry for my lack of knowledge, but i am fascinated by t's and look forward to many years of keeping them, i guess you learn from experience, thanks again

Comment

at that size i think you should have a few more years even if it is a he...so that's cool
                as for not being able to tell, you should be able to when he/she moults...perhaps not for a while, but eventually you'll be able to make out spermathecae in the moult, so that's the best way to tell usually...
                Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
                My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

chili rose

One of our chili rose t's had his last moult January . He also has very long legs against the females. He stopped eating 6 months ago, but continues to be active and as agressive as ever.

Comment

Working...
                  X