New Slings :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Slings :-)

I just got some new slings from the spider shop. I'm a happy chappy!
    Got 1 x B. smithi, 1 x B. Bohmei, 1 x G. aureostriata and 1 x N. chromatus.
    Had an enjoyable experience moving them to their new homes. The red knee and golden knee behaved themselves perfectly. The N. chromatus was a stubborn bugger and seemed hell bent on staying put and the fireleg shot out of the tub and up my hand and did circuits around it, hehe! Got them all homed without any harm done though. Phew!
    www.flickr.com/photos/craigmackay/sets

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

nice one mate...only had experience with one of those, the G aureostriata. i was given a juve, and it is an treasure (thanks again Louise!)...and i've just come home with a N chromatus sling on Sunday...but they are all great spiders and i hope you enjoy them!

...except for the chromatus they are all slow growers though lol!
    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->

Comment

Cheers James, I got a chromatus in July and it's now moulted into a mature male (I think). I'm not very sure if he has emboli or not. I can see a red patch between the first and second joints of his pedipalps. Is seems to be the hair thats red though when it wasn't pre-moult. Does this sound like the 'boxing gloves'? He's quite big now. About 5" legs span. From looking at breeding pictures the males are a bit smaller than the females so I think thats about mature size for a male. I can't seem to find much species specific info on the net to do with maturity. If anyone has a female and would like to make an offer then get in touch. I'm excited bout watching the others grow but I'll have to be patient I guess. I read that young golden knee's grow faster than other Grammostolas. Did you find this?

Comment

hmm not sure about the emboli, i find most of the males i've seen have fairly noticeable thickness in the emboli compared to the rest of the pedipalps...but i think some have red there, yes. would hate to just go on that though!

if he's male i hope you find a girl for him!

with G aureostriata, i've not had mine long enough to tell... it's moulted once, and didn't grow all that terribly much...so not sure!
        Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
        -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Whether he's mature or not I know he's male. The males carapace turns black when they get older. They're not as nice looking as the females though still rather striking. Hopefully I'll find him a girlfriend soon. I'll put some ads up round the forums tonight. Good luck with your little guy/gal

Comment

thanks!
            well i'll keep an eye out, but i like to go by exuvia when possible, and think he/she's too young yet.
            regardless, i know others with girls, so if it turns out male...then there will hopefully be slings!
            there are also two geographic variations, Colin Wilson knows them lol i can't remember. one is darker and more vivid then the other, probably due to local humidity (unless i'm completely off base)
            -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Thanks, I didn't know there were two forms. I got a good look at him today and I can see the tibial hooks on his front legs very clearly. If any of your friends with females wanted a male then gimme a shout cause I'd like him to have the chance to make some slings before he dies. Cheers

Comment

should be a few on here, if you announce it!
                i could be wrong, but yeah i hear of some females here and there
                -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

There are Argentinian and Paraguayan forms....if you look at both of Rays pictures here then you will see the difference.
                  One of the main theories is colour change due to environmental conditions (such as the way Ray reported A seemanni changes with humidity), but there are other theories too including the possibility of being subspecies.

*edit* Just read back over this and i think we've switched ...if we're talking about G aureostriata...then the above stands, if we're still on with N chromatus then...Dunno
                  Last edited by Colin D Wilson; 12-09-08, 02:00 PM.
                  Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Originally posted by Colin D Wilson View Post
                    *edit* Just read back over this and i think we've switched ...if we're talking about G aureostriata...then the above stands, if we're still on with N chromatus then...Dunno
                    Ah, I see the confusion. I'm talking about N. chromatus. I assume James must be talking about G. aureostriata.

Comment

wow whoops...yeah i was talking G aureostriata!
                      -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Working...
                      X