Rehousing Conquest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rehousing conquest

We well always enjoy hearing your new adventures with your T's Alex. You are lucky we hardly ever see our H.Minax, she's always in her burrow, by the way she loves waxworms for a treat.

Comment

Cheers.

Thanks! I'll try some wax worms next time around. I'm sure in the next few days she will settle in her new tank and start to dig. But be sure for more posts (probably with "War" in the title) as I have just aquired 3 more tanks today. So the hunt is on.

Comment

lol the hunt for a bargain earth tiger (or 2) at leeds by any off chance lmao!
        My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Sure enough, there is about 9 inch of peat / vermiculite mix
          Hi

Why lie? You can see in your last pic that the substrate is 3 inch deep at the most (you can see the bottom corner of the tank), unless off course that claw thing is huge which judgeing by the spider sat on top it isn't.
          But hey it's your spider keep it how you want, but in my experince (not a lot I know) but Asian burrowers like to burrow quite deep as oppose to sit under a shelter.
          You could do a lot worse than to pre start a burrow for it useing an broom handle or something and then often the spider will adopt this hole and expand it. If you also add a few dead leafs to the set up they may also get included in the burrow enterence makeing for a quite nice interesting 'natural' look.
          The only draw back is that you will most proberly only see your spider doing what it does best, and that is just sat at it's burrow waiting for an insect to pass by like they do in their natural habbitate instead of being huddled in a corner, spinning silk around its self to block out the light and only showing any real life when you poke it with a stick or when the lights go out out and it climbs the walls. I know I'm wrong here on this aren't I?

Either way keep it fun.
          All the best
          Chris

Comment

Thanks Chris, ok, 9 inch is an exaggeration (I didn't have a tape measure handy). The tank is 18" deep, the claw thing is about 1.5 times the size of my own hand (I occasionally think of myself as a full grown adult), the substrate is about 6-7" and the T is about 6"ish. Hope this clears up the size of everything.
            I was of the impression that yes they live in a burrow but also like tucking away under stuff.
            I was advised before about the start a hole advice and so have done this under the claw thing in the hope that the T might dig its burrow down the side of the tank? Wishful thinking?
            Now the adding leaves suggestion I would like another opinion on as I assumed adding decaying matter wouldn't be clever but I suppose in the natural habitat this would happen anyway, so any H owners who have done this / chose not to do it, I'd like to know.
            I have my Ts in the cellar and therefore have set up a light on a timer to mimic day/night and have found that about 6-8am (is about the middle of the night in the cellar) is the most active time for both Conquest and Bosh! (my lividum). However I rarely see them scaling the walls.
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X