No announcement yet.

Help for a new Pink toe owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes, that's true Phil! i've been battling Phorids for a while now...with little success. thankfully no nematode worms have been in my collection or things would be quite bad!
    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Thinking outside the box here - crickets like to eat, chuck a little lettuce in and wait a couple of days. You'll clearly see if any cricket are alive by the marks on the lettuce, unless of course your L. parahybana decides to go veggie!
      My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

that's a great suggestion, Peter!
        Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
        -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Hello, this may be a daft question but don't wood lice eat boluses? I know they keep tanks free of mould and stuff. Also what do phorids look like? if you mean those tiny fruit flies then a good way to get rid of them is to keep a small species of spider with the tarantula that wont harm the big spid! myself I have a population of Steatoda grossa, lovely little things, and they deal with small flies. They also deal with any microcrickets laid by escapee crickets too! try getting some, they're lovely little things.
          sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

woodlice are great for getting rid of boluses, etc...it was Colin Wilson who told me about that.

S grossa...do you keep them in with your T's or just around the area? they are meant to have quite a bite (thinking of the T here), but as far as i know don't stray from webs very often...

Phorids are also called humpbacked or scuttle flies, due to their hunchbacked appearance and habit of running rather than flying... they are fast and not many things can catch them.
            they are scavangers mainly and lay eggs on dead things of any kind.
            -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Thats good then, I've got about half a dozen in every tank! Thanks James

Comment

wow! and no problems? that sounds an intriguing idea, a bit of an ecosystem going on in each set up
                -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Problem is James I've got that much of an eco-system going in some tanks, as I said in another thread, that I'm growing mushrooms next to my apophysis at the mo!! Using condensation fro humidity really works, but I always make sure the little one has a water bowl. One thing which concerns me though is the lack of light. I know Exo-terra do daytime and nighttime bulbs, but does anyone do ones you can plug into the main light socket?

Comment

the fungus is worrying...especially with that recent article in the BTS journal about a poisonous mushroom.
                    not sure how to combat that...woodlice i know eat mould (as well as the bolas...to keep this moderately on topic lol!), but no idea about mushrooms. might need human intervention to keep that in check.
                    not sure about the bulbs sorry Nicola!
                    -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Thanks James, all the best

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lacey View Post
                        Thinking outside the box here - crickets like to eat, chuck a little lettuce in and wait a couple of days. You'll clearly see if any cricket are alive by the marks on the lettuce, unless of course your L. parahybana decides to go veggie!

That's a top idea! We've been feeding the crickets in a separate pot anyway and they've really gone for cucumber. I'll pop a piece in and see what we get.

Comment

Originally posted by James Box View Post
                          the fungus is worrying...especially with that recent article in the BTS journal about a poisonous mushroom.
                          not sure how to combat that...woodlice i know eat mould (as well as the bolas...to keep this moderately on topic lol!), but no idea about mushrooms. might need human intervention to keep that in check.
                          not sure about the bulbs sorry Nicola!
                          I read the article, but saying that I have had the same sort of mushroom (well visually very similar anyway) growing in my C. fimbriatus tank, on a couple of occasions, and I removed them and had no further issues at the time. In fact she went on to breed, produce a sac, and ultimately slings.

My Collection:

Comment

Originally posted by nicoladolby View Post
                            Hello, this may be a daft question but don't wood lice eat boluses? I know they keep tanks free of mould and stuff. Also what do phorids look like? if you mean those tiny fruit flies then a good way to get rid of them is to keep a small species of spider with the tarantula that wont harm the big spid! myself I have a population of Steatoda grossa, lovely little things, and they deal with small flies. They also deal with any microcrickets laid by escapee crickets too! try getting some, they're lovely little things.
                            Phorids look like little humpbacked flies. If you disturb them they generally run away along whatever surface they're on at the time in a zig zag pattern, rather than taking off and flying away. They are also known as scuttle flies, for exactly that reason

My Collection:

Comment

that's comforting about the mushroom Phil...though they are still vile

hope the cucumber trap works Jane!
                              -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lacey View Post
                                The cucumber trap has worked!! I've flushed out one cricket but no sign of the other or any remains.

Comment

Working...
                                X