P. miranda breeding questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P. miranda breeding questions.

I currently have 2 mature males and 2 freshly molted adult female P. mirandas. Whenever I try to pair them together, it seems that the male gets only one shot at an insertion and then the female doesn't want anything to do with him. This is true even if the insertion was unsuccessful. I'd try pairing them a few weeks later and she still is not receptive. Has anyone else had this experience? If you did, what did you do to make the female receptive again? I'm hesitant to try cohabitation given that the female attacks the male after the initial pairing. Thank you.

Kyle.

Are you completely sure the females are mature? If the males have matured and you are assuming that because the females have recently moulted that they too must have reached maturity perhpas therein lies the problem. If these are from the same egg sac its quite likely the males are mature but not the females as male mature much quicker than females.
    For the discussion I'll accept that these are all adult. P. miranda are not considered the best communal species as adults, but that's not to say it won't work, just keep your eye on it.
    If an insertion was made its likely the female will lose interest in further insertions.
    Hopefully you have some luck, or someone provides more detailed info, we could do with more of these in the hobby.
    My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Oh yes, they are both mature! One's 6.5" and the other is 6" I purchased them both separately from different people. The males are from separate people and eggsacs as well.

Here's a pic of the big girl and mating attempt.

Comment

Close-up of epigastric furrow immediately following failed insertion attempt. Notice there is no sperm packet. This is of the smaller female, but the larger female also lacked a sperm packet.

Last edited by Kyle Dickerson; 14-09-08, 01:21 AM.

Comment

Try putting the females in total darkness for a week, then add the males and leave alone for a fortnight, unless you happen to notice something going on whilst peeking!! Also try mating the females in seperate tanks.
          sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Originally posted by nicoladolby View Post
            Try putting the females in total darkness for a week, then add the males and leave alone for a fortnight, unless you happen to notice something going on whilst peeking!! Also try mating the females in seperate tanks.
            At this point, I'm ready to try anything. I'll put them in the closet for a week and see what happens. Has this been successful for you in the past?

What do you mean by putting the females in separate tanks? I don't keep the females together in the same tank.

Comment

Sorry, my mistake over the tanks. I've tried breeding mirandas before but they fell out. at the critical moment the male fell off the side of the tank. I don't know whether he thought the female had pushed him but he went off in a sulk and he wouldn't go near her after that unless there was a pane of glass between them first! I think he thoght she was out to get him, but couldn't get over his urge to breed! Anyway over the darkness thing, it was a tip given me by someone who'se been breeding Pokies successfully for years, and really knows his stuff. Mirandas like the dark!
              sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Working...
              X