Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sperm bulbs loaded , how long are they good for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sperm bulbs loaded , how long are they good for?

When a male produces a sperm web and fills his bulbs up , how long is it before the sperm is useless? Does it last for days or hours or what?
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

I haven't found any studies that show how long their sperm remains viable. I know it definitely lasts for more than a few days though. I've seen males who haven't been bred make fresh sperm webs every few weeks or so. If its been a while before you've seen him load up, I'd wait until he makes a fresh web before breeding. Often, introducing the male to the female without allowing them to mate will trigger him into making a fresh sperm web.

Comment

Several months I read somewhere I think. Could be wrong though
      www.flickr.com/photos/craigmackay/sets

Comment

Hey Matthew,

This is a passage out of The Tarantula Keepers Guide by S.A Shultz and M.J Shultz ( MY BIBLE LOL!!!!).

This process is known as sperm induction. The sperm he charges his bulbs with is not active. Shortly after the sperm cells are produced, inside the testes, their flagella wrap around their cell bodies. Thereafter they were encapsulated in a layer of protein and remain dormant through the remainder of their lives, until they are called on to fertilize a females eggs. (Foelix 1982).
        Michael.
        2xB.vagans, B.smithi, 2x L.parahybana, L.polycuspulatus, G.aureostriata, C.fasciatum, B.albopilosum, B.boehmei, P.pulcher, H.maculata, C.crawshayi, L.violaceopes, C.cyanopubescens, 3xP.irminia, 2xP.murinus RCF, 2xP.cambridgei, C.fimbriatus, C.schioedtei, A.pupurea, A.azuraklassi, A.versicolor, H.lividum, P.reduncus.

Comment

Cool , dunno why i didn't look in that one. Good book indeed , got the newest revision on pre-order too ( yes im a saddo but you never know what has changed!!!) I generally give it a good browsing sat on the loo and with my high intake of red hot chillis i spend plenty of time there
          Last edited by Matthew Baines; 20-09-08, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Why Matthew, thats were all the geniuses do there studying on the throne LOL!!!!!!

Michael.
            2xB.vagans, B.smithi, 2x L.parahybana, L.polycuspulatus, G.aureostriata, C.fasciatum, B.albopilosum, B.boehmei, P.pulcher, H.maculata, C.crawshayi, L.violaceopes, C.cyanopubescens, 3xP.irminia, 2xP.murinus RCF, 2xP.cambridgei, C.fimbriatus, C.schioedtei, A.pupurea, A.azuraklassi, A.versicolor, H.lividum, P.reduncus.

Comment

Its often the only place i can get peace and quiet too read

Comment

Working...
              X