Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more T's

hi

Ive had a mexican red knee, curly hair, and a pink toe sling since about this time last year and i want to get a few more t's to extend my collection,
    My T's are really docile, ive been looking at some of the T's on the spider shop website and might get a few more. The thing is im not really sure if i want anythink 'meaner' or that has an attitude,

are the old world T's really that bad?
    my only concern is if they bite me or escape

Am i being a wimp?

if you just have your t,s to look at old world sp. should be fine but would not suggest handling them. my p.miranda is more shy and would rather run away than bite.but they are quite speedy.they also have more potent venom but there has been no recorded fatalitys from a tarantula bite.
    Mikey...

Comment

Originally posted by michael foley View Post
      they also have more potent venom but there has been no recorded fatalitys from a tarantula bite.
      Don't mean to pick up on your reply or be alarmist but this is something I hear quite a bit and what people don't seem to mention is there's a lot more inbetween including muscle cramps and shooting pains. Many or most Old World species (Africa, the Indian sub-continent and S.E Asia) have a far more significant bite than those from the New World (the Americas). For a worrying report check this out: http://www.bighairyspiders.com/poec.html

Now, to balance the argument. They are often fast and defensive but in the majority of occassions would rather retreat to their hide. Some common sense on approach eg. if the T is near the opening and doesn't move away leave it for the next day to feed/clean, and generally a calmer attitude should set you up for the Old Worlds. Prepare for escapes with empty cricket tubs and a cut-down fizzy drink bottle and provide yourself plenty of space to work in. A large pair of tweezers is also recommend and I find if I'm going to spot clean I often throw a cricket in first to keep them occupied once they've caught it. Care of the species can be very similar to those you already have although more importance is recommend to their specific requirements if you consider breeding. For the arboreals a tube hide (cork or bamboo) will help for cleaning and moving situations as the T will hopefully retreat to them and you can stuff the top with kitchen towel allowing you time to do any necessary maintenance. If this tube is previously driven into the substrate you're likely to have plugged both exits for transporting to alternative enclosures or for posting.

The best lesson I had which changed my opinions of the Old World species was seeing how others kept their species. Mary and Trevor Walters were a great inspiration and after reading all the scare stories I found not one show of aggression or hasty escapes from the likes of King Baboons, Pokies or Psalmos (New World aboreal). I'd say with your experience of Avics a Psalmopeous cambridgei or irminia (Suntigers) would make the next step towards Old World, after which you have the Poecilotheria (Ornamentals), Baboons and Earth Tigers to move up to.

Its worth mentioning that there are plenty of species worth considering from the New World including the giant spiders eg. Lasiodora parahybana (Salmon Pink), Acanthoscurria geniculata (Brazilian White knee), T. blondi & T. apothysis (Goliaths) plus the very colourful species of Xenesthis, Pamphobeteus and the firm favourite Chromataplema cyaneopubescens (GBB).

Admins note: Regarding the bite report link. Such severe reactions to Asian theraphosid bites are few and far between. I know of many others and good friends who have had bites from this genus and reactions have been varied and certainly less extreme. However it does point out that reactions to bites can happen and you should always be careful when dealing with Asian and African species. As of yet there has never been any actual recorded fatalites atributed to correctly to theraphosid invenomation, Peter has given excellent advice here.
      Last edited by Mark Pennell; 28-09-08, 10:30 AM.
      My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

no worrys peter mate lol u have probably got alot more experience than me there was some good info for me there to thanks
        Mikey...

Comment

LOL Michael, well, I have no experience of any bites yet, a result of keeping my fingers, legs and eyebrows crossed
          Funnily enough I've had more aggression from my N. chromatus juveniles than any of my Old Worlds, including the infamous OBT.

Another few NW worth considering: Cyclosternum faciata/pentalore (Venezuela Tiger Rump), Ephebopus murinus (Guyana Skeleton Tarantula), Aphonopelma seemanni, (Costa Rican zebra), Avicularia versicolor (Martinique Pink Toe), Acanthogonatus francki & pissii - Chilean Tiger Rump/Chevron Tiger Rump as well as some other lovely metallic species recently appearing from Chili.
          My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lacey View Post
            Acanthogonatus francki & pissii - Chilean Tiger Rump/Chevron Tiger Rump
            Bear in mind that these are not tarantulas, as they belong to the family Nemesiidae. They are striking and interesting spiders nonetheless

My Collection:

Comment

Working...
            X