reaction to sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reaction to sound

I was recently sorting my mp3's on my computer and was playing random tracks deciding if i wanted to keep them or not when out of the corner of my eye i saw my B.Smithi acting strange. The track was a sound effect with a steady tone increase, once it hit a certain pitch my smithi started tapping it's legs on the glass. Since i got this spider it's not behaved exactly how I've observed it's species before so just thought this a new little quirk. I decided to see if it would do it again and it did at exactly the same point on the track.

I found this interesting but have no idea why it's doing it, I can only imagine that it's picking up the sound vibrations on the glass and is responding to it with the tapping. If anyone has any idea what my spider is doing please let me know or if you've experianced anything simular.

The tapping was a fast vibration on the glass using the front pair of legs. It didn't seem agitated by the event and as soon as the sound stopped it went back to it's usual spot.

ive only been into t's for a year now however that sounds like mating behaviour to me (from all the vids ive seen on youtube)
    but it only usually seems to be arboreal t's that vibrate the glass

Comment

That was my first thought. However it's still very young, only 3" LS atm

Comment

Interesting. Maybe something in the tank was resonating, and causing the spider to tap. I don't think it necessarily indicates mating behaviour.

My Collection:

Comment

while playing guitar i often noticed my P imperator scorpions both facing me and sometimes scrabbling up the side towards me...
          i took it as a compliment, but they were probably trying to get me to keep the noise down
          that's really odd and interesting behaviour in your spider, though!
          if it's mating behaviour, may be a rather precocious spider as it sounds a bit young...
          also i think if a male T thinks a female is nearby and it's fully loaded, it'll probably tap anything, glass or otherwise, regardless of being terrestrial or arboreal, i think.
          Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
          -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
          My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Thats quite interesting, i think i may have to hook me ipod and watch to see if any of mine react.
            Proud member of the BTS

Comment

Hi, maybe they've all got rhythm ;

Comment

Whatever you do, stay don't play pokies Alanis Morissette, they hate the stuff! Then again they like Led Zeppelin (at least mine do) so they've no taste. The music I like just sends my spids to sleep!
                sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

All our pets like psytrance , but we seem too have a problem with the water dragons disliking gabba.

Comment

for the past couple of weeks i have been experimenting with tarantula sound reactions, testing responses from arboreal/terrestrial/burrowing species with different volumes of various different tracks, i have tested the reactions to the high range, mid range and low range of each song and have been working out a pattern, i have found that burrowing species react to a low sound at a high volume but terrestrial and arboreal species tend to react more to the mid high sounds. they all have different reactions, with the terrestrial diving straight to its hide, the arboreal moved to a lower part of its bark and the burrowing came out of his burrow and went straight into a strike pose. i am still doing some work on this and am writing something up, when it is done i hope to have it published in the journal. the terrestrial i used for this experiment was a b.klaasi, the arboreal was p.rufilata and the burrowing species was c.crawshayi
                    THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

Comment

Working...
                    X