Hello from the isle of wight!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from the isle of wight!

I have three tarantulas,common pinktoe,chille rose and king baboon anyone got any tips for keeping pinktoes? am new to aboreal species. james

Hi James,

I don't know what substrate you are using, although as an Aboreal is should spend most of it's time off the ground anyway. But when I first got mine I used coir but I found that switching to vermiculite helped to keep the humidity a little higher, but obviously this is just my opinion I am sure some of the more experienced Avic keepers will give you better advice

Comment

thanks brenda, i use vemiculite with potting soil ( only 1 inch deep) with a layer of that rainforest substrate and i mist that daily, i am just wondering though, as the species is known to be skittish, can they be held at all? i have tried but it just jumps off and promply legs it!
      also i am usin small locusts as food is this ok as crickets did not seem to climb to the top of the terreria?

Comment

and what is coir substrate?jam

Comment

Coir is made from the fibrous husk surrounding the outside of a coconut (the seedpod I guess). It's essentially a byproduct of the coconut harvesting industry and would generally just be discarded, but is processed and then widely used by gardeners and in the horticultural industry.

You generally see it in compressed blocks, which you soak in water. They then expand to make lots of substrate!

It's more ecologically friendly than peat, what with the widespread exploitation and disappearance of the peat bogs, and is an excellent choice for spider keeping

It supports burrows, and it can be mixed with vermiculite and used just like peat.
          Last edited by Phil Rea; 15-10-08, 10:40 PM. Reason: Spelling!

My Collection:

Comment

thankyou i will lookout 4 some next time i got to the pet shop. 180 tarantulas......wow!

Comment

Originally posted by james fenton View Post
              thankyou i will lookout 4 some next time i got to the pet shop. 180 tarantulas......wow!
              There is branded stuff available from petshops, but you'll likely get it much cheaper at a garden centre. If you do, make sure it has no fertiliser added, and it's exactly the same material

Oh, and welcome to the BTS forum

p.s You wouldn't say wow if you had to feed them
              Last edited by Phil Rea; 15-10-08, 10:59 PM.

My Collection:

Comment

over here we call it eco earth or bed a beast and I generally put around 4 inches in the bottom of my avic's enclosures it holds moisture very well at that depth and is mold/rot resistant (or so I've read)

Comment

Welcome to the Forum James.

top tip i can give for your Avicularia sp (pink toe) is to maintain a reasonable humidity at all times but at the same time allow for plenty of ventilation..can take some time to get it "just right"

I've found if you mix some sand in with the peat / coir it tends to hold the moisture just as well as adding vermiculite. (this seems to be appreciated by the burrowing species more than others i've found)
                  childrens play sand / bird sand is the cheapest i've found so far.
                  Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

welcome to the forum!
                    i use alot of coir myself, it is fairly good stuff, though sometimes have to water frequently for humid species as it dries fast.

Originally posted by Phil Rea View Post
                    p.s You wouldn't say wow if you had to feed them
                    i know your pain!
                    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
                    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Hi James, and welcome to the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by James Box View Post
                        welcome to the forum!
                        i use alot of coir myself, it is fairly good stuff, though sometimes have to water frequently for humid species as it dries fast.

i know your pain!

You can mix vermiculite in with it. That holds moisture a lot better

My Collection:

Comment

Originally posted by james fenton View Post
                          thanks brenda, i use vemiculite with potting soil ( only 1 inch deep) with a layer of that rainforest substrate and i mist that daily, i am just wondering though, as the species is known to be skittish, can they be held at all? i have tried but it just jumps off and promply legs it!
                          also i am usin small locusts as food is this ok as crickets did not seem to climb to the top of the terreria?
                          Hi James,

To be honest i try not to handle any of my T's unless I have to (like they escape). Locusts will be fine I tend to change between crickets, locusts and roaches and obviously locusts are good for the avic as they tend to head towards the top on the enclosure

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Rea View Post

You can mix vermiculite in with it. That holds moisture a lot better
                            good thinking!
                            will try that a bit more often then.

Brad...i know what you mean...it's the "docile" T's that always seem to make a break for it, thankfully though! with my collection at least, the more defensive ones tend to stay put and on guard, which actually makes things easier...unless they decide just for a change to be a bit more inquisitive or assertive!
                            Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                            -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
                            My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Working...
                            X