Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G pulchra breeding attempt

Hi all!!

I am documenting my first ever attempt at breeding. From my research I understand it is difficult to get G pulchra to drop a sac and the information may be useful as a what to do guide, or more likely a what not to do!

I have dropped the temp of the spider tank in line with the season, and I have observed broody behaviour from the female.

They were paired at 14:56 GMT on 18/10/08 (that's the 18th october!!)
    The pairing itself lasted until 15:03
    Ambient temp was 20C/70F

The male was introduced by placing the tanks side by side and allowing him to walk in to her tank (with some gentle encouragement).
    There was initially no drumming and he walked directly over the top of her!! then the female turned with fangs barred...........

The poor little guy seemed to panic a little and he started to drum on her legs 1&2 both sides. The fangs raised even more (I began to sweat....)
    It all turned out ok, I had misread the pose as being a threat when it was just receptive. As soon as they separated, he ran for the hills and was promptly rescued.

I think I saw a few insertions but it was hard to tell. I will be pairing them again in a day or two and pictures will follow.

I will keep you updated of how it all goes. Fingers crossed
    Last edited by Carli Roberts; 19-10-08, 12:24 PM. Reason: spelling

good luck carli, i hope all goes well. alot of people consider the g.pulchra to be quite a boring species but it is one of my favourites. let me know when there are slings available
    THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Thanks! I think this is a brilliant species generally, and IMO is the best sp to keep as a beginner because they are so forgiving and docile.

Although I think all spiders are great I prefer the pet rocks to the pet holes!!!

I will let you know if there are any slings in a couple of months!!

Comment

G. pulchra boring?? Never

Good luck with them

My Collection:

Comment

My favourite species! Can't get enough of G. pulchra! Hope all goes well and you get a viable sac.

P.s.: 20 C is 68 F.
          Spider Myths | Curious Taxonomy | The World Spider Catalog - Theraphosidae

"We are all taxonomists." -Judith Winston
          "The laws of biology are written in the language of diversity." -Edward Osborne Wilson
          "Principle of Priority - the oldest fool is always right!" -H. Segers & Y. Samyn

Comment

Working...
          X