P.murinus DCF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P.murinus DCF

I've seen a couple of pictures of these, and from doing some digging they seem more than rare. Infact the actual term was "very rare in the wild, unheard of in the hobby"

Are they really that much like gold dust? or does anyone know anywhere to get one from?

My Collection: - Support CB

Well, if they're unheard of in the hobby, and rare in the wild, then your most likely to find one in the wild!

Where are they from anyway?

Comment

very rare in the wild
      Hi
      Where did you see this?
      all the best
      Chris

Comment

As for how rare they are in the wild, I'm not so sure. The truth is that unless things have VERY recently changed you won't find them in the hobby. The only ones you'll get normally are the NCF and the RCF. There is a fourth variant, a mountain variant, but I've only seen these available onece at the Spider Shop, about 2.5 years ago!! There is a fifth variant, Shimba Hills, though I don't think this has been officially confirmed yet. Get in touch with one of the committee, they might be able to give you much more info (I wouldn't mind knowing myself!!)
        sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Originally posted by nicoladolby View Post
          I wouldn't mind knowing myself!!
          Same here.
          Originally posted by nicoladolby View Post
          There is a fifth variant, Shimba Hills, though I don't think this has been officially confirmed yet.
          Do you have any pictures?

Since we got into color forms/variants, what about P. murinus "Kalahari form"? I only know this one picture on Rick C. West's website, but have't really found any more info on them.
          Spider Myths | Curious Taxonomy | The World Spider Catalog - Theraphosidae

"We are all taxonomists." -Judith Winston
          "The laws of biology are written in the language of diversity." -Edward Osborne Wilson
          "Principle of Priority - the oldest fool is always right!" -H. Segers & Y. Samyn

Comment

Colour forms of P. murinus shouldn't really surprise anyone, as it's the most widespread theraphosid known in southern Africa.

As far as I'm aware, and perhaps Richard or someone can comment further, P. murinus is known from more African countries than any other tarantula species, so I would expect some colour variance in such a widely distributed population(s), bearing in mind the various coloured soils/habitats in the different areas.

My Collection:

Comment

Hi

I could be wrong but I wouldn't mind betting that there are alot more colour varients of this species to be found. It seems to me that almost every collection site produces a different varient and almost every time they enter the hobby as Peterinochilus sp. this or that depending on where they were first collected from.
              More often than not they all end up being P. murinus (have there been any new species found in all the new colour varients or collection sites that you have seen Richard?).

Off course some like to label them up and sell them as P. vorax etc but that rant is for Ray G to take up as he is far better at it than me lol.

To me at least, many of these colour varients show hardly any variation to what we generally know as "the normal colour varient" (what ever that is these days ).
              So what is the score with these then? I mean is it better now to keep all these collection sites for P. murinus seperate from each other in captivity? If you don't know the collection site how are you to tell these sometimes very slight colour varients apart?
              I for one have seen slight variations in the colour of the "red colour varient" P. murinus so could it be a different collection site for these also? and should you start keeping these seperate from each other also?

I only ask this because when I look at a ruff distribution map (you can find one here:-http://www.baboonspiders.de/html_en/...inochilus.html )

you can see how very wide spread this species is so I think you could end up with a real balls ache, if you follow every collection site as a new varient or ever so slighty new colour varient.

Off course there are going to be the ones which differ in colour to a great extent and so I think this prudent to keep them apart but can you honestly say this is true for all?

All the best
              Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Sainsbury View Post
                So what is the score with these then? I mean is it better now to keep all these collection sites for P. murinus seperate from each other in captivity? If you don't know the collection site how are you to tell these sometimes very slight colour varients apart?
                I for one have seen slight variations in the colour of the "red colour varient" P. murinus so could it be a different collection site for these also? and should you start keeping these seperate from each other also?
                Absolutely Chris......

Where do we start...and where does it all end ?????
                Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Part of the problem also lies in that they are easily bred, and so knowing where a sling came from originally is almost impossible now. Personally I just keepo the distinct colour variations seperate. TCF away from NCF, and NCF away from RCF.

I'd imagine some cross breeding has already taken place, so attempting to keep regions seperate is a lost cause now.

I still want a DCF though.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich.Harrington View Post
                    Personally I just keepo the distinct colour variations seperate. TCF away from NCF, and NCF away from RCF.
                    My point in hand
                    TCF = Typical Colour Form
                    NCF = Normal Colour Form

Whats the difference?
                    Cheers
                    Chris

Comment

Fair point, to my mind a TCF is the brown ones, whereas a "normal" is the orange that most people tend to know p.murinus for.

Not hard to keep oranges and potatoes different and all that.

Comment

I think TCF and NCF are one and the same, the "orange" one is what's called RCF (red colour form), but I guess OCF would be more appropriate. Confused yet?
                        Spider Myths | Curious Taxonomy | The World Spider Catalog - Theraphosidae

"We are all taxonomists." -Judith Winston
                        "The laws of biology are written in the language of diversity." -Edward Osborne Wilson
                        "Principle of Priority - the oldest fool is always right!" -H. Segers & Y. Samyn

Comment

yet aren't the orange ones known as RCF (Red Colour Form)?

good this aint it lol

all the best
                          Chris

Comment

Chris as far as I was away though, the orange and red were two different colour forms? Regardless of OCF or whatnot, they are different no?

Comment

I'm going for...............
                              NCF and TCF as the brown "normal" spiders
                              RCF / OCF as the orange ones that we all know as OBT's

That way i can keep my sanity
                              Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Working...
                              X