H. Lividum enclosure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H. Lividum enclosure

I've recently ordered a H.Lividum and was wondering if there was anything special I need to consider doing to her enclosure before she arrives. I know they are a burrowing species and I did wonder if she makes the burrow or should I give it a go so she has something to get at home into?

And also how big does her enclosure need to be? I was going to be getting a 30x30x30 enclosure from spidershop but am unsure? If you guys have any better enclosures that would be ideal for her and could link them to me that would be great.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Mike Mosdell; 02-11-08, 07:16 PM.
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding and responsible sourcing

Lividums are perfectly fine just with substrate. Personally I think that adding decorations is more for the keepers sake than the tarantula's. I suppose it is personal preference on that one.

May be a little piece of cork bark or a half piece of plant pot will be ok if it really feels like it needs to hide.

But we have found with ours that we give them loads of substrate, and on the night they have started to dig their burrow. Sometimes they may stay topside for a couple of days. We think that the fresh forest bed substrate might have been a little too damp. But max 2 days after going in their enclosure they build a nice deep borrow.

We have tried the, make the start of a burrow for them before and they totally ignore it and dig their own anyway lol.

Then you have the classic 'pet hole' lol
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Most times I've started a burrow for them they've played ball and extended it

My Collection:

Comment

hehehe We must have awkward burrowers then

The only spider we have that actually used a pre-started hole was the silver trapdoor!
        Even my scorpions turn their noses up at pre-made holes!!!

Comment

Ok, and most enclosures I have been using have been with 3 inches of substrate deep, will this be sufficient for her or will I need to extend that to maybe 4-5?

Comment

I use about 7 inch + for my burrowing species

Comment

if the enclosure you're thinking of is the exo terra, then i'd suggest that it isn't ideal for a burrowing species... they need deeper substrate than you can achieve in an exo terra.

Comment

Then could you possibly suggest a better enclosure? Or something I can buy and make into a decent enough enclosure.

Comment

Im lucky you see i have access to different sized faunariums at cost price from the whole salers . I house my h . lividium in a 16x8X12 (length x width x height) inch plastic critter keeper. It will work out cheaper than paying whatever the pet stores charge for the exo terra ones.

Comment

I use a faunarium like this http://www.thespidershop.co.uk/insec...oducts_id=1159
                    - only the medium version... Or you can get a similar product from Wilkinsons - only £4.99 and it's larger

another thing that you could do is get a clear storage box with lid (which clips secure) and use a soldering iron to make holes for ventilation.

Comment

For my lividum I just got a really cheap tub from Wilkinsons, filled it with out 7 inches of substrate, and lent a small piece of cork bark against the side which she started her burrow under.

So if you're looking for a cheap enclosure, head down to Wilkos! Or somewhere similar, I think mine cost me about £3. The only downside is that they aren't crystal clear, but to be honest, you wont see it much anyway!

Comment

Or you can get a similar product from Wilkinsons - only £4.99 and it's larger
                        Yeah they are just as good but im not 100% sure about those flexible lids myself!

Comment

Cereal storage tubs work well for lividums

My Collection:

Comment

as long as you can get a good 5 inches of substrate in and you arnt to bothered about looks cereal tubs i find are the best thing,plus i hardly see mine out of her burrow so clarrety of the tub isnt a problem

Comment

I'd say the most important thing is deep substrate. One of my haplopelmas has dug right down to the floor of the tank, and spends her time scraping the bottom trying to dig deeper!
                              I also put some moss in my lividums tank, she put it at the front of her burrow and uses it as a door.

Comment

Working...
                              X