Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theraphosa apophysis feeding and moisture

Hi there folks.

My Tarantula room is looking good now. Just a shelf to put up and it will be there.
    I have a large tank set up for the arrival of a Goliath Pinkfoot and I have taken humidity/temperature readings and all appears to be correct with regard to care sheets and information I have gathered.
    I am aware that this T can be fussy about humidity and so far the readings have been correct for a few days now. I am wondering the best way to keep the humidity that way. My substrate is a mixture of forrest bed, coconut coir, spagnum moss and vermiculite, the substrate is moist but not wet and I also have a large water bowl in place as well.
    The question is:
    Should I spray or keep the substrate moistish or both?
    I intend to keep the water bowl topped up.

As for feeding, I am totally aware that this T can be a big eater. What would one suggest?

I have also checked info regarding life span and could not get any info. Does anyone know the average life span of a female/male?

I look forward to reading your shared experiences.

I've only kept 3 x 3-4" T. apothysis for about 3 months but they seem to be doing well. I give them a spray or pipette water directly onto areas (clumbs of sphagnum moss and around the hide). I never let the substrate dry out but its never sopping wet either. They seem to eat whatever you throw at them, which at the mo is crickets and worms.
    I'm keeping my newly acquired T. blondi in the same manner and as this is 6"+ (although its just moulted) I tend to spray the top of its enclosure too (RUB). I've been advised the next feeding should be a defrosted mouse but I've also been giving it winged locusts.

I'll be as interested as you are to hear how others keep theirs.
    My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lacey View Post
      I've only kept 3 x 3-4" T. apothysis for about 3 months but they seem to be doing well. I give them a spray or pipette water directly onto areas (clumbs of sphagnum moss and around the hide). I never let the substrate dry out but its never sopping wet either. They seem to eat whatever you throw at them, which at the mo is crickets and worms.
      I'm keeping my newly acquired T. blondi in the same manner and as this is 6"+ (although its just moulted) I tend to spray the top of its enclosure too (RUB). I've been advised the next feeding should be a defrosted mouse but I've also been giving it winged locusts.

I'll be as interested as you are to hear how others keep theirs.
      Hi lads, I had 3 but 1 died this weekend, from getting too cold is my guess. I keep mine moist with a bowl and sprayed once a week. Food for mine is crickets primarily, or sometimes a locust or a mouse if the snakes refuse it.
      spider woman at Wilkinsons

Comment

i tend to keep my 2 slings quite moist (the coir is almost muddy, and i spray weekly) as i lost a juvenile to dryness (that is my best theory anyway).
        i would be careful about feeding amounts as one of my slings died in a moult, it couldn't get its fat abdomen out of the exuvium.
        the other two are doing fine with current conditions.
        Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
        -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
        My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Working...
        X