B.smithi sling Molt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B.smithi sling Molt

Had my B.smithy almost for a month now, last few weeks it's hidden deep inside its hide and kicked all the dirt in front of its bark. A sign i'm informed means it's likely to molt.

It now has largist marks, which definatly looks like it's been flicking hairs inside its hide. It's also refused to eat a cricket yesterday which i removed from the encolsure.

I was wondering, how long it could take a sling to molt and classically how best to ensure it goes smooth I've been especially sure to make sure the enclosure is sprayed every few days to maintain perfect humidity, but thats all i can think of.

Basically just looking for reasurance and maybe some tip/and extra information

Mike
    Last edited by Michael Peachey; 08-11-08, 08:07 PM.

I'm after similar tips and info really, so I won't start a new thread. I have an A. Seemani which I have also had for about a month, she has stopped eating, she did kill one but not eat it (although it could have just died) she last ate around a week ago and has avoided, even run away from food since.

She has become very sluggish, sitting in one corner next to the heat mat, I have kept the temp stable between 21.5 and 27 so I'm pretty sure she isn't cold.

The humidity has been a bit of an issue but its around 60%-70% (although I've managed to raise it now to around 75% after finally getting a spray bottle).

I've done a bit of reading around the moult, but I just wanted some reassurance. Are there any signs other than the not eating I should look for.

Thanks,
    Simon

Comment

the signs of an approaching moult include darkening of colour, loss of appetite and the T will prepare an area to moult in. Michael i would say your b.smithi is about to moult, it is also possible that your a.seemani will too simon. as long as the tank environment is kept steady things should go fine. the humidity is one of the main things as if it is too dry you run the risk if the T getting stuck in its moult and dying. there is no set time frame for the moult to take place from the start of pre moult so it is now just a waiting game. good luck to both of you
      THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Cheer's matt, can only presume the humidity is okey for him/her since i havent got a gauge. I'm making sure the enclosure is sprayed at least every other day right now, definatly know the temt is ok though.

I think i'll invest in a gauge but i'm a bit reluctant to buy one from a pet store, i'll end up paying through the nose like i did with my smithi.

mike
        Last edited by Michael Peachey; 09-11-08, 02:55 PM.

Comment

I've had by smithi since February and she's moulted three times now. Once the bald spot starts to darken, it normally takes about 7-9 days for the moult to occur. But the signs are always going off her food about 3 weeks before the darkening happenings.
          Gloria my little Brachypelma smithi.

Comment

Well, after reading what you have said, I've had a look, and she has gotten a bit darker, and she has made an area infront of her hole covered in web, and she keeps adding to it, I assumed this was a hunting tactic, but it could well be the beginning to a mat. I'll keep you posted with how she is doing

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Peachey View Post

I think i'll invest in a gauge but i'm a bit reluctant to buy one from a pet store, i'll end up paying through the nose like i did with my smithi.

mike
              yeah you do seem to get taken for a ride when it comes to pricing lol. i personally wouldnt buy a humidity guage, they are cack. the thing to remember is that a small water dish will add about 30% humidity, if you are spraying the tank a couple of times a week then i would say the humidity is fine. dont over spray the tank though as b.smithi do like quite a dry substrate
              THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

Comment

Yea haha, not for much longer though hehe. I'm alot more aware of the pricing. I'm pretty happy at the moment, chris is bringing me 3 L.para's to the next meeting for 1.50 the lot

Said i could have each sling for 50p
                Last edited by Michael Peachey; 09-11-08, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Peachey View Post
                  , chris is bringing me 3 L.para's to the next meeting for 1.50 the lot

Said i could have each sling for 50p
                  you will always find bargains from club members. Kev is a good one to speak to as well he is always selling loads of Ts. i am getting a new b.emelia off him at the next meeting. The l.parahybana are a gorgeous species, a good choice on your behalf. it is one you will always find particularly cheap as you get so many from an agg sac lol

Comment

I'm a little concerned. Although she is darker than she was when i got her, she doesn't appear to have bald patches. Is this normal? I know timescales vary from T to T, but can anyone give me an idea of the stages she will go through and approximate times?

Thanks
                    Simon

(sorry probabily just getting a bit paternal )

Comment

you will not always get hair loss, the darkening of colour and loss of apetite are the main signs to look out for.

Comment

Hooraaay!!
                        She moulted thursday night/friday morning, didn't get to see it, but she is about 20-25% bigger, perhaps more. It's been 3 nights as of tomorrow morning, how can i tell when her new exoskeleton has hardened?

Cheers
                        Simon

Comment

Good news then Simon, she will look nice and smart in her new coat. Give her about 5 days then try her with a cricket, she'll take it if she's ready. They usually eat quite well after a moult. If she does'nt take it then, take it out and try her again every other day.

Comment

Cool, thanks for the pointers so tuesday morning i'll give her a locust and see how she does

Probabily obvious, should I feed her more now she is bigger?

Comment

Hi Simon, just give her what she will comfortably eat, and take out anything that's not the next day. Did I notice on your earlier post you had the heatmat on the inside of the tank, if so it's needs to be on the outside of the tank, at the end or part of the side, aim for something between 22-25c, keep a water dish available at all times.

Comment

Working...
                              X