Can anyone ID this Avic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone ID this Avic?

I gotta a couple of new T's from Jo McMullen. An Avicularia versicolor and an Avicularia sp.
    I got some pics of the Avicularia sp. and she is adorable. So calm and docile. I was wondering if anyone could have a bash at IDing her from the pics attached (I know that photo IDs can be a bit tentative at the best of times). She looks like A. avicularia to me or maybe sp. braunshauseni.

Cheers guys
    Attached Files
    www.flickr.com/photos/craigmackay/sets

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

I'm afraid you are unlikely to get a definite ID Craig. The Avic genus is so messed up. It looks like any of the Avics from guyana. A very pretty little spider none the less. It could be A. avicularia but that would only be a guess. I would still have her though

The braunshauseni has very long bright red hairs on the rear legs and get pretty big. Mine is a juvie at 4 inches lol.
    Last edited by Elaine Ross; 15-11-08, 12:29 PM. Reason: spelling

Give me all your Avics !!!!!

Comment

Thanks Elaine. I thought it'd be difficult to ID. I've noticed a lot of them look very similar. She is a lovely spider though. She's about 4 inches just now and so docile and slow moving. Always out on display too which is cool. Shes got a whopping big piece of bark to hide behind but shes completely ignored it. My versicolor is the complete opposite though. Hopefully that'll change once she's settled in.

edit: Just noticed you stay in Loanhead. I lived there for a few years when I was a wee toddler!

Comment

Yip, a lot do look similar. Yours is still a little cutie though. I've got a few Avics here that will remain on the pet shelf but I love the cute fuzzines of them so much that around half my spiders are Avics lol.

Small world mate. Loanhead is still as quiet as ever

Give me all your Avics !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Mackay View Post
          I gotta a couple of new T's from Jo McMullen. An Avicularia versicolor and an Avicularia sp.
          I got some pics of the Avicularia sp. and she is adorable. So calm and docile. I was wondering if anyone could have a bash at IDing her from the pics attached (I know that photo IDs can be a bit tentative at the best of times). She looks like A. avicularia to me or maybe sp. braunshauseni.

Cheers guys
          Avic sp Guyana.

No one knows what Avicularia avicularia looks like, and as A. braunshauseni was never compared against other type material, and its main feature is red hairs (volour is an unviable taxonomical feature) there is no telling what it might be. Many Avics change colour from moult to moult, i have had Avic sp Guyana covered with red hairs moult and go grizzled, then moult and look "normal" blue green.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Gabriel View Post
            Avic sp Guyana.

No one knows what Avicularia avicularia looks like, and as A. braunshauseni was never compared against other type material, and its main feature is red hairs (volour is an unviable taxonomical feature) there is no telling what it might be. Many Avics change colour from moult to moult, i have had Avic sp Guyana covered with red hairs moult and go grizzled, then moult and look "normal" blue green.

Ray
            Thanks Ray. I noticed when doing a google search for A. avicularia that almost every picture that appeared looked completely different. Nevermind, she's a lovely spider anyway. Thanks though.

Comment

Working...
            X