How to make an incubator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make an incubator?

Now that my H.vonwirthi has had her eggsac for atleast 15 days, I'm starting to plan an incubator.
    I've seen some which look like ice-cream tubs with material stretched across with the eggs in the middle, and I've seen some which have damp tissue up one end and the sac down the other.
    Do I need a different incubator depending on whether the eggsac contains eggs or stage 1 nymphs? (I think that's what their called )

What do I do if I take the sac off her and it's still eggs? cos I thought the eggs needed to be moved around every so often to stop them sticking together and what if I have to go out or something...

Thanks
    Samantha

There are two relevant articles in the BTS Journal regarding incubators:

Gabriel, R. 2004. Artificial incubation and the care of nymphs. Journal of the British Tarantula Society, 19 (2): 38–41.

Gabriel, R. 2005. An improved method of artificial incubation. Journal of the British Tarantula Society, 20 (4): 123–125.

As you're a BTS Member, you can download both of those journals from the BTS Members area

I've personally used Richard Gallon's design successfully as illustrated on the T-store here

My Collection:

Comment

Thanks for the links Phil! Doesn't look too hard to make one, just have to figure out how to get the sac off her cos she blocked up the entrance to her burrow with a plastic hide!

Comment

Good luck Samantha

My Collection:

Comment

i have always used ray gabriels methods when i have had egg sacs, never fails, truly genius in its invention and almost completely fool proof
          THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Hello,

Use the "hammock" stylle on incubator and increase the ventilation, the "plastic box" incubator does not seem to work to well for Asian sp, most likely due to a lack of ventilation.

Ray

Comment

Working...
            X