Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theraphosa apophysis question

Hi there.
    Well I have managed to expand on my collection and I have purchased a Theraphosa apophysis. I have the correct set up with regard to size, temp, humidity. The T has a large half-pipe log to hide in and it appears to be doing well.
    The question I have is this. At the enterance to the hide the T has moved substrate and almost blocked it up. I am wondering if this could mean that there is a possible moult about to happen. The T's abdomen has not darkened at all but as I say it has blocked itself up. I hope people will share their experience with me regarding this T's behaviour.

Perhaps. One way or another it doesn't want any visitors, lol. If you've just got it it'll be settling in and must feel safer with its burrow plugged.
    www.flickr.com/photos/craigmackay/sets

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

How large? it could also be a very late eggsac , but more likely a moult, i would agree with Craig, it dosent want to be disturbed, i would wait for the spider to show its self

Ray

Comment

Hi,

A juvenile Theraphosa Apophysis is the most recent addition to our tiny collection.

He/she is on a hefty bed of Betagro organic compost with the usual prescribed conditions and seems to be doing fine. It takes to its shelter at times but so far has not really done any landscaping at all.

It is laying down some lines of silk as it navigates and is eating everything in sight.

My uneducated guess is that it's off its food and wants to be alone to prepare for a moult so i'd check all the conditions, sit back and look forward to a new monster emerging

Good luck,
        R
        Bitten by the bug!

My Collection: - Educate, research, breed, enjoy

Comment

We've got 3 T. Apophysis the biggest one has large underground hide available to her, she's really never used it apart from retrieving a roach or cricket, which has tried hiding from her, she went into pre moult recently, and is now really black and expect her to moult in the next two or three days, but she still remains out in the open, so I guess all that matters is that the hide is available to the T should it want to use it.

Comment

Working...
          X