P. Metallica - Fingers crossed for a sac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P. Metallica - Fingers crossed for a sac

I registered here an absolute age ago, don't post here often, so I thought it was about time I started I've plastered this on a few other forums, so why not here Sorry about the poor quality of some of the pictures. I was using the camera on my Nokia n95. And for the record, no. The first image is not photoshopped in any way

This is my small adult female P. Metallica, Carwash:

And this is her former boyfriend, Azure, who belongs to Layla and Craig McInnes:

She molted out on 7th September. At that point she was kept at room temperature, and I started to soak her up.

On the 7th October, I started to bump the heat up, and continue to keep her quite soaked.

On the 24th of October, she was paired with Layla and Craig's male. He was in there with her until the 10th of November. Between the time of pairing and removing the male, Carwash started to get a big appetite. Taking down 4/5 hoppers and bunch of crickets.

After the male was removed, I soaked her one last time, and added another heat source to her tank to bump the heat further. I've been drying her out ever since. I used a PC case fan attatched to a 9volt adaptor to help finish off drying the tank out.

I used coconut fiber chips as a substrate, as I find it reatains moisture well, and will also dry out quickly when required. It's now very dry in her tank, but she has a large, open water dish should she need a drink. Temperature wise, the room she's in at the moment averages around 27/28c during the day. I also have her on a small heat pad bumping her daytime temp up to over 30c. Night temps average around 25/26c.

She's eating quite alot at the moment. A few days ago taking 3 good sized hoppers, which is alot for her considering she's only around the 5 inch mark.

As of the 22nd of November, she started to web up her hide quite substantially:

On the 24th of November, she started to re-inforce her hide a bit:

On the 28th of November, she started to start seriously webbing up

I noticed her out an about on the 5th of December, and she has gained alot of weight:

The last time she molted, she sealed herself away like this:

But on Monday the 8th of December, she sealed herself away completely. Sorry about the messy walls, but obviously I dont want to be doing any maintenance right now:

She's been hainging around the top entrance to her hide quite since, facing towards the bottom of her tank. She last ate Thursday 4th of December. A large hopper. I attempted to feed her again on the 5th, but she refused.

Fingers crossed she does the job
    Last edited by Dan Kennard; 10-12-08, 01:33 PM.
    Tarantulas-UK Discussion Forums

fingers crossed mate, but all this posting just jinxes it you now!
    not that i'm at all superstitious
    good luck to her and to you!

she sure is a pretty lividum though

Last edited by James Box; 10-12-08, 01:51 PM.
    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

stunning pics!! if the mating was succesful, how much will you be charging for slings?? can i call an early bagsy on 5? lol
      THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

Comment

lovely looking lady, and good luck. this is one species I would love to have in the collection.

all the best

Comment

A stunning T, and what a webber, hope everything goes well for you.

Comment

Really beautiful. Thank you for posting these pictures, I have never seen a tarantula that colour before. Does anyone know the where these can be found in the wild?

Steven
            Last edited by Steven Williams; 18-12-08, 09:44 AM.
            A, abdomen, abstain, ace, advantage, aegis, ajar, aluminium, ambidextrous, angel, angle, ant, aphid, apple, Arachnida, arachnology: an awesome activity!

Comment

these days, blue T's would be a dime a dozen, if most weren't overpriced that is!

though lividums are usually not expensive.

I think the region is Gooty, in India...or at least that's what the common name "Gooty ornamental" refers to, if i'm not completely off track? geography isn't my strong point.
              Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
              -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->

Comment

Thanks James. Alas, I will not be going to India anytime soon- wish I was! Just think of the photos that you could take of a P. Metallica in the wild... Instant winners. Dan, if tiny Metallicas do arrive please could you post a picture or two? I think I'm getting hooked...

Best of luck!

Steven
                A, abdomen, abstain, ace, advantage, aegis, ajar, aluminium, ambidextrous, angel, angle, ant, aphid, apple, Arachnida, arachnology: an awesome activity!

Comment

Dan I have a male P metallica which matured about a month ago and a very big female which is in between moults right now. You gave very specific 'preparation' details in your post, is that from some sort of experience with breeding this species or just a general thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Taki Tsonis View Post
                    Dan I have a male P metallica which matured about a month ago and a very big female which is in between moults right now. You gave very specific 'preparation' details in your post, is that from some sort of experience with breeding this species or just a general thing?
                    It is based on advice from 2 different friends that have both had successful metallica sacs earlier in the year. In fact, one of the females double clutched.

The problem being though, that it gets harder to get a successful sac, the larger the female gets. It's usually smaller females which have the better luck.

Comment

Ok thanks Dan. I put mine together yesterday and everything went swimmingly and they mated almost immediately. I took him out though as I don't know of another male in SA and I didn't want to risk him . I'll just keep putting himn in under supervision lol. One more question, by soaking I assume you mean really wetting the subtrate?

Comment

hey guys. She's not eaten since the 4th of December, and I've not seen any new web since the 8th - I think we can all see where this could be heading... For the 2nd time :/

I know of another metallica that would go through fasting periods after mating, before starting up again, and still went on to make a good sac. But I've had spiders that repeatedly molt out within a few months of mating before.

Wish me luck, but dont keep your hopes up...
                        Last edited by Dan Kennard; 15-12-08, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanHalen View Post

Wish me luck, but dont keep your hopes up...
                          I will keep mine up!

Comment

Ill be keeping mine up too dano.. Fingers and toes STILL crossed for you

Comment

Seeing the latest pictures of her she doesn't look like moulting any time soon mate, although stranger things have happened i must admit......
                              all in all it seems to be about on track in my opinion Dan.
                              Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Working...
                              X