cat vs C. thorelli

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cat vs C. thorelli

Hello, i hope somebody can help me on this.
    I came home from work today and went into my t room to check on thhings. I noticed there were 8 legs on the floor {not shed legs}, i soon discovered that mhy cat had some how managed to get in to the room and the vivs and straight into my thorelli pot.
    The cat is fine no swellings, and acting her usual self, but i can not find the thorellis body.
    Im assuming the cat wouldnt of ate it but im not sure.
    Could any body please help in this situation.
    Many thanx in advance.
    Rebecca

that's sad! i'd be quite sure she ate the spider, or perhaps hid it really well...
    are you 100% sure those legs are not shed legs?
    maybe you'll find the thorelli walking across the wall someday...i kinda hope so!
    that is a shame though, my condolences. at least the cat's ok, just acting her nature...but still a shame
    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

If the spider is full grown or fairly sizeable and the cat is not showing any symptoms or discomfort then the spider is unlikely to have bitten her (or at least injected any venom).

I would think it unlikely that the cat has eaten the spider, but you never know with cats. They eat some weird stuff. I had a cat that used to routinely kill and eat wasps.

You need to keep them away from any domestic animals, because if they bite a dog, then it is not good (not sure about cats). There was a paper on Australian theraphosid bites (Isbister et al. if I recall), and the venom was fatal in all cases, so please be careful.

p.s. I didn't think C. thorelli was in the hobby?

My Collection:

Comment

It is unlikley that your cat has been bitten. However differnt animals react in differnt ways. Cats are tougher than we give them credit for. Afterall they are born killers and do what comes natural. I think we can assume , sadly , that it is a case of Cat : 1 Spider :0

My cats are banned from my room and only allowed in when I am in there. Its more a sense of nosiness than malice with them

My condolences on the spider though.

Ray
        British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
        The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
        On
        [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Rea View Post
          If the spider is full grown or fairly sizeable and the cat is not showing any symptoms or discomfort then the spider is unlikely to have bitten her (or at least injected any venom).

I would think it unlikely that the cat has eaten the spider, but you never know with cats. They eat some weird stuff. I had a cat that used to routinely kill and eat wasps.

You need to keep them away from any domestic animals, because if they bite a dog, then it is not good (not sure about cats). There was a paper on Australian theraphosid bites (Isbister et al. if I recall), and the venom was fatal in all cases, so please be careful.

p.s. I didn't think C. thorelli was in the hobby?

Cyrio. schioedtei is the new name.

I'm so sorry to hear that happen! Especially to such a beautiful specimen. I to hope some day you will find it walking arcoss the floor! I just hope you're not sleeping at the time!!

Comment

unfotunatley they werent legs they were solid and you could see the insides of the leg.
            I doubted that the cat would of eaten it due to the hairs, but again you never know.
            We have searched everywhere even pulled out wardbrobes we have left no stone unturned, and still no sign which is why i believe she ate it

ps phil. I brought it has cyriopagopus thorelli about 4yrs ago, but i was never 100% sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin S. Spears View Post

I'm so sorry to hear that happen! Especially to such a beautiful specimen. I to hope some day you will find it walking arcoss the floor! I just hope you're not sleeping at the time!!

thankyou all, i do have a shioedtei i never realised i did have two.
              Unfortunatley i doubt will see her walking about one day i have all 8 legs, uness she can shed wihout them but im not holding my hopes up.

Comment

oh eck thats not good at all! I learned a long time ago that normal domestic pets and inverts/reptiles dont mix.
                (however was amusing when the cat got into the iguana's viv and the iguana bit and held onto the cats nose! She soon learned to keep out of that viv)

Sorry to hear about the loss. you will have to keep a close eye on the cat though because no doubt it would have found the tarantula a play thing for a while. And the cat may want to play again.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin S. Spears View Post
                  No, C. thorelli and C. schioedtei are still distinct species. From what I can see, they are not in synonymy.

My Collection:

Comment

my understanding from what i've read is that C schoiedtei (however it's spelled!) has been mislabelled as thorelli on occasion, but we don't actually have the REAL thorelli in the hobby at the moment.
                    maybe it's because some specimens are darker than others?
                    correct me if i'm wrong!
                    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->

Comment

Pretty much what I understood James, in that C. schioedtei was mislabeled/identified as C. thorelli on introduction to the hobby, but that there has not actually been confirmed thorelli in the hobby (or at least for a very long time).

My Collection:

Comment

Thankyou i was getting confused to what it was {thorelli/schioedtei} now knowing that i do still have 1 i never knew they were the same sipder.

Comment

Working...
                        X