Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long can slings go without food

Hi

I have two Euathlus slings, sp Red and vulpinus. As I've not been able to get brown micro crickets for a while, it's been nearly two weeks since they've eaten. The sp Red is about 1cm in size the vulpinus is slightly smaller, how long can they go without food?
    Any advice would be gratefully accpeted.

Thanks
    Alex.
    Grammostola aureostriata, Euathlus sp "Red" Chile Flame, Ephebopus murinus DCM and Aphonoplema seemani.

The simple advice is as long as their abdomens look a reasonable size its likely there's no immediate worry. Tarantula are renowned for going without food for long periods but slings aren't as hardy.
    Why not try to get maggots or mealworms (of an appropriate size) instead or make an order online from livefoods.co.uk or similar.
    My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

or you could get size twos, crush them and put bits in.. If I cant get micros thats what I normally do

Comment

Also slings will survive on just water for quite an extraordinary amount of time, even a small amount of fresh meat will suffice for the interim
        Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Hi
          Spiderlings and indeed spiders in general are a lot more robust than they are credited for in my honest opinion, and two weeks without food is nothing for them. I only feed my spiders maybe once sometimes twice a month (including spiderlings) and they all seem fine with it even if they do grow fairly slowly.
          I have also left them without food and water for over 5 weeks in the past during the warm months of May & June and from all of the ones I kept at the time the one I lost was a sub P. murinus of all things. I don't recomed this on a regular bases btw but just want to show that it can be done.
          I really wouldn't worry too much.
          cheers
          Chris

Comment

Working...
          X