Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G. rosea breeding question

Hi all,

If you have bred G. roseas, how long did it take from the time you mated the spiders until the time the female produced an egg sac? The reason I ask is that I had a female produce a sac in July 2008 and I'm not sure if it was from my breeding her in June 2008 or the previous owner, who bred her in April 2007. In other words, did it take her a month to produce the sac from the time of breeding, or over a year?

If I understand him correctly, in Peter Klaas's book Tarantulas in the Vivariumhe indicates that it can be as short as 3 1/2 weeks (see page 100).

What has your experience been?

Thank you,
    Payton
    Payton MacDonald
    composer, percussionist, college professor, tarantula enthusiast

payton, i think we can safely say that the sac was from your breeding. i dont know of any tarantula that can go over a year without producing the sac, the longest i know of is a year
    Last edited by matthew spooner; 23-12-08, 02:35 PM. Reason: too much alcohol - cant spell lol
    THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

I've heard of G. rosea going between 1 and 2 years, so I it is possible.
      KJ Vezino
      Certified Arachnoholic
      My T Gallery
      Quest for Knowledge: All the T info links you need!
      "Have You Hugged Your Spiders Today?"

KJ’s Collection

Comment

not sure if this is a strange take on it...but i believe the sperm is stored and the eggs fertilised as they are laid.
        in which case...i would guess the sperm from both could be in there still?
        or perhaps the newer sperm would be the stuff that's still good (if it has a shelf life!)
        dunno if i'm completely off base here, but that was what i understood happened.
        Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
        -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
        My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Sperm stored in the spermathecae is dormant and has a very long shelf life. I believe each individual sperm is encased in somehting, and it isn't released from that casing until the act of egg laying occurs, then the re-animated sperm can go forth and fertilize.
          KJ Vezino
          Certified Arachnoholic
          My T Gallery
          Quest for Knowledge: All the T info links you need!
          "Have You Hugged Your Spiders Today?"

KJ’s Collection

Comment

Working...
          X