Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spider ID Request - Coremiocnemis?

Hi all,

Wondered if any Selenocosmiid experts could help me with an ID...

I recently bought this spid as Coremiocnemis validus and following a bit of snooping decided that it might not be what it seems after all. The sub-adult spider was entirely orangey / brown and lacked the darker brown femorae of other C. validus I had seen in images. Last week the spider has matured as a male and is now entirely coppery brown and lacks tibial hooks. Mature size is approx 3-3.5"...

I hate to see a male go to waste, so if someone can give me a clue, I'd be grateful. If someone can give me a clue and then tell me they have a female...even better.

I have attached some (poor) images for reference, including penultimate molt...
    Attached Files

Mat
    Ok all I can tell you is that is not C, validus

See this section of the BTS Theraphosidae Gallery.

Cheers
    Mark

------------------------------------------------------
    Serious Ink tattoo studio -
    Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Hi Mat!

The exuviae seems to be in quite good condition, so maybe you will be able to use >>this<< short make-shif key by Søren
      and fit your specimen somewhere.

Best regards,
      Tomasz
      "There's No Escaping
      Their Web of Terror..."

Visit my site at: http://ptaszniki.com.pl

Comment

Thanks both,

Key seems to suggest Coremiocnemis sp. "Gunung Ledang"....but not 100% certain.

If anyone can make use of him for breeding / taxonomic purposes, then please let me know.

Comment

To use the make-shift key to the Coremiocnemis you will have to make sure that what you have is Coremiocnemis. So first establish what GENUS it belong to before trying to establish what SPECIES it might be ...

I do not believe your spider is a Coremiocnemis at all, but rather looks like an ultimate Chilobrachys - presumably one of the North Thai Species according by looks and by your description of it being orange before molting. These can be very hard to place specieswise, so I would recommend you to not breed him unless you are absolutely sure that he is of the same species as the female you intend to breed him with.

Regards
          Søren

Comment

I second that, it is most likely from the Chilobrachys, leg scopulation cf. leg morphology in this genus is underrated as a generic indicator. I'd love to elaborate........but..

Comment

All,

Thanks for your answers but have a taxonomic question on Chilobrachys. How strongly recurved is the fovea and is this a defining characteristic of the genus? The specimen in question appears more transverse than procurved....

Comment

Hi, often transverse in Chilobrachys, but always procurved in Coremiocnemis No species (forget genus) in the subfamily Selenocosmiinae (other than a singular example of the monotypic holotype Selenotholus foeslchei from NT, Australia) is known to possess a recurved foveal groove.

Cheers,
                Steve

Comment

OK, thanks for the help....

Next question....does anyone want him? Hate to see him go to waste, so will be quite willing to send him to someone who will do something more positive with him than I can offer (taxonomic / breeding / anything other than look after him until he inevitably keels over ). I won't charge for postage or the spider.....just let me know that something beneficial will follow.

Mat

Comment

Working...
                  X