death of chilean rose,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• death of chilean rose,

i have had a chilean rose for no longer than three months, things were going great, untill about a week or two ago when i noticed that he was no longer eating and drinking, walking very oddly, dragging the abdomen behind, not using the hind legs at all, and was also getting very jumpy.

upon speaking to the gentleman at the pet shop were said spider was purchased i was assured that these were sure signs of the spider getting ready to moult, the tarantula as i was informed was due to moult soon anyways, yet only a few hours ago today (2/01/09) the spider is stiff and unresponsive, i.e dead.

does any one have any ideas as to why this has occured?, the terrarium was of correct tempurature and humidity as i followed everything by the book. If some one can help to point me in the right direction it would be very appriciated.

First of all im sorry to hear that. I need to ask though, since it has happened before. Your confident it was definately dead and not on its back moulting? It can be a commen mistake. I'm sure you know that but i thought i should ask.

If it was dragging its abdomen, it was likely a cut (take a look see). could be from coming off badly from its prey, from a sharp object or from a fall.

Those are the only things i can think of really hun. Sorry to hear about your rosea

mike

Comment

hiya mike, no unfortunatley im definate that he is dead, i have had a close inspection of the abdomen and all i can see is a brown bald patch i can assume from dragging on the vermiculate. The position that it died in was normal way up with its legs beneath, there was quite a bit of web around the legs too, would that be normal?

thank you for the reply though

gem

Comment

Gemma
        Sorry to here of your loss, just a thought though, have a look in the take for a pupae of a parasite.

I have a feeling your spider may have been carrying one.

Regards
        Mark

------------------------------------------------------
        Serious Ink tattoo studio -
        Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
        My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

The way you described the spider acting leads me to agree with Mark about the possibility of parasitic infestation...spiders may lose the use of limbs and body control as the parasite often eventually eats away at the nerve cells/clusters/ganglions within the spiders body.
          A good sift through the substrate could be fruitful in finding some form of pupating little beastie....identification of this may be difficult unless you were to leave it to emerge as an adult
          Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Working...
          X