Agressive Chile Rose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agressive Chile Rose

Hi there Im new so I hope I'm using the forum correctly! please let me know if I'm not!

I have kept a chile rose since last April - my first tarantula - and she has been very happy and seemingly contented - however 3 weeks ago she moulted (which appeared to go quite well) but since then - although she has eaten - she appears to have had a personality transplant - she went for me when i tried to change her water bowl last wednesday and has since then refused food and is scaling the walls of her tank as if trying to get out - she has never climbed the tank before and i find it very disturbing to have a spider acting like a bat roosting upside down! moreover, i cant get in to clean her water or remove a cricket which has died in there - she is far more sensitive to noise, light and vibration and is certainly very unhappy.

Could anyone tell me is this normal behaviour post-moult? or do i have a really scary narky spider for good?! - I have by the way never ever handled her - I admit - im too scared!!

Any advice appreciated - thanks!

Could be several things gill.
    Tarantula's can change their entire personaility with each moult, could well be she's just taken a radical personaility implant this moult - like you say.

Other possability is maybe something is bothering her, take a check over your tank and check it is definately parasite free. If your in doubt or want to be sure you should change the substrate over if you can manage to do that.

Other option could be that perhaps she's just grumpy after being a few weeks after the moult, who knows hehe.
    I have heard chile rose's can sometimes go through weird periods or can be slightly tempremental with diets too, maybe someone could clarafy that because i havent got one myself.

Mike x
    Last edited by Michael Peachey; 03-01-09, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Hi
      Although this species is considered a docile species, this is not often the case they can in fact be quite aggressive.

However I have a sneaky feeling your tarantula has just matured into a male, can you post a pic.

Cheers
      Mark

------------------------------------------------------
      Serious Ink tattoo studio -
      Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
      My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Thanks Mike - I guess you could be right about her being temperamental - the moult was amazing and must have been traumatic for her - I felt like i was watching someone give birth!!! how scary!!

I was going to change her substrate this month anyway - but getting her into another container while i do that is the next challenge! I certainly havent done anything different as in water and feeding procedures - the only thing i think might possibly have narked her is that when i spray the tank to humidify it she got in the way and got a squirt! previously she would just run under her log but this time she climbed the tank - and she cant half move fast! a friend told me it was my fault for not handling her regularly but I dont think i would like to handled if i were a spider with rather impressive fangs (which is also her name!) so i respected her in the same way.

The other question is do you think she is doing herself any damage by climbing glass - how on earth does she hang on upside down - how does she grip? it cant be comfortable for her - I didnt know Chile Roses could even climb! Wow I do now!!!

thanks for your reply though, i dont know anyone who keeps spiders so Im glad Ive joined the BTS! cheers Gill x

Comment

Hi Mark - a male!!! Just as well she he/doesnt have a girly name!!!
          yes I'll try to post a pic - but im really not very good with technical stuff! I do have some pics of Fangs on myspace and i can also email them - but I'll do my best to get some on here!!

Gill x

Comment

can you describe what he/she looks like?? if mature, you can sometimes tell by looking at the T what sex it is, you tend to find male are alot scrawnier, small bodies with long thin legs. also if it is a mature male, it will have tibial spurs on the underside of its 2 front legs
            THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

Comment

mark could be right there. You said it was a her in your original post, were you told that when you bought her/him?

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Gill Z Brown View Post
                a friend told me it was my fault for not handling her regularly but I dont think i would like to handled if i were a spider with rather impressive fangs (which is also her name!) so i respected her in the same way.
                Gill
                Unfortunately your friend is wrong. It does not matter how often you handle your tarantula it will never get used to it or is less likely to bite you, because of constant handling.

They are not mice or hamsters.

The BTS has a none handling policy as in we suggest and that handling is avoided as best possible, gratuitous handling for pleasure or bravado is not recommended. This is for first and foremost the safety of the tarantula.

Of course there are times when you will have to handle we all have too and have at one time or another. It sounds like you know this and have the right attitude, healthy respect is the best option.

I do think that the change in the spiders attitude is down to a maturing molt into a male, but will wait till you can post a picture.

All the best
                Mark

Comment

If indeed it is a mature male gill, if you want a long lasting tarantula it would most likely be worth swapping or selling for mating purposes or loaning to someone for a 50/50 spiderling split. When a male matures it has a few years left of its life.

Mike

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys - im going to try to post some pics of Fangs - please let me know which pics would be most helpful! Im pleased Im getting great advice! If he is a male I just want him to have a happy life - if that means keeping him Im happy to - but if he needs to fulfill his purpose in spider life by mating I dont want him to go to a place he would be unhappy! The pet shop told me the spider was a female - and most of my spider knowledge is based on domestic spiders - I know males from females due to the enlarged palps but a tarantula is totally new to me! hopefully pics coming up... please bear with me! thanks x

Comment

Hi Gill, I'm thinking along the same lines as Mark about your spider maturing as a male, it would make sense of the attitude change.
                      I have had several female rosea change personallity after a moult though, it's just one of those things

The knowledge you have of true spiders maturity is basically passed on to tarantulas regarding the palpal bulbs, they will show signs of "boxing gloves" which are fairly easy to notice.
                      Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

sorry folks all i get the dreaded box with red cross,can you help me with uploading tips as i promised gill to post some pics and im gona get it in the neck,can i use coppermine or picassa?
                        cheers paul.
                        Last edited by Gill Z Brown; 03-01-09, 07:21 PM.

Comment

You can use the "manage attachments" option (below the posting window in advance mode)when posting your reply, this uploads the image to the BTS storage area and remains there untill you physically delete it
                          Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Right its not a mature male yet! but I think may be one day

Here is the image.

Cheers
                            Mark
                            P.S Nice looking spid
                            Attached Files

Comment

Failing that upload your image to tinypic and send us the hyperlink.

www.tinypic.com

Just select your image, then forum on sizing. Then either link the [img] hyperlink, or a direct website link.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X