Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think my tarantula is dying...

Hey People,

Firstly let me wish everyone a happy New Year and I hope everyone had a good Christmas.

For months, what was my most vicious tarantula seemed to be getting queiter and quieter, as in less agressive. He began rejecting food and I thought he may just be going to moult again, however I see now this is not the case. His abdomen has shrunk horendously and when I tried to feed him live crickets, the next day I'd just find them dead and torn outside his hide, and still "juicy".

Today I found him outside his hide, with his legs tucked under his body, so i took a paintbrush to prod him. He slowly brought out his legs but they were still very curled, and he slowly dragged himself accross the dirt. Now he's just sitting there in pretty much the same spot, his legs fully tucked under. I don't think there's any saving him.

Any idea of what it could be and if there's any hope for saving him? I really liked this tarantula because of its verocity and I feel bad cuz Peter sent me this one.

Thanks,

Richard.
    Li'l' Ice Cube the Brachypelma Smithi!!! (As of 13/05/08 !!) But, I'm still gonna refer to it as Ice Cube!
    Pyro the Brachypelma Auratum!!!!!!!!!!

Many, many thanks Louise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Possibily could be a parasite, maybe switch him into a new container or clean and add in fresh substrate. If it is a parasite he'll die if hes not rehoused for sure.

If its a mature male, it could well be he's hit his life expectancy in which case there is nothing you can do.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Peachey View Post
      Possibily could be a parasite, maybe switch him into a new container or clean and add in fresh substrate. If it is a parasite he'll die if hes not rehoused for sure.

If its a mature male, it could well be he's hit his life expectancy in which case there is nothing you can do.

Mike
      No he's very young; about a year and a half old if that I think (I'm not actually sure about the sex, but I'm just referring to it as male).

If it is parasitic (which I feared), is it possible it could spread to the other three tarantulas' homes?

I honestly think there's no hope for him... he stands upright and still and barely, barely moves except when touch, which he'll perhaps twitch and shift a bit. Besides if it is parasitic, then would it not remain attached to his body if I just moved him?
      Li'l' Ice Cube the Brachypelma Smithi!!! (As of 13/05/08 !!) But, I'm still gonna refer to it as Ice Cube!

Comment

To be honest i would move him/her strait away. If its parasites then its the only thing you can do. Then move him/her again if the situation looks better. It shouldnt spread provided you dont cross contaminate the substrate or put the spider into different containers.

All i can think of im affraid though.Mike

Comment

Most spider parasites are internal. Do his mouthparts look OK?

Just a thought, but he could be dehydrated.

My Collection:

Comment

Thanks Michael I appreciate that, I will move him tonight if I can.

Originally posted by Phil Rea View Post
            Most spider parasites are internal. Do his mouthparts look OK?

Just a thought, but he could be dehydrated.
            I think so, but what am I actually looking for? (I picked him up between the second and third legs, which was difficult because they are so crowded together. I looked at him ventrally)

What is the best way to rehydrate him giving his current state?? A piece of cotton?

Cheers Phil.

Comment

I would put him carapace first into a shallow water dish, making sure the booklungs are clear. Keep a close eye on him for maybe 20 minutes, then remove the dish.

My Collection:

Comment

I would put him carapace first into a shallow water dish, making sure the booklungs are clear. Keep a close eye on him for maybe 20 minutes, then remove the dish.
                His whole body?

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Shah View Post
                  His whole body?
                  No, just the carapace (and the front legs) Richard. It will float on the surface, but he will be able to ingest water.

Make sure his abdomen is completely clear of the water at all times.

My Collection:

Comment

No, just the carapace (and the front legs) Richard. It will float on the surface, but he will be able to ingest water.

Make sure his abdomen is completely clear of the water at all times.
                    Will do... good thing you said abdomen cuz I had forgoten completely where they were (the booklungs I mean). Thank you!
                    Last edited by Richard Shah; 04-01-09, 08:00 PM.

Comment

No problems. Hope he recovers

My Collection:

Comment

Okay Phill it seems he drank everything and was a bit more mobile after I picked him up to move him, but now after setting him down he's still very curled up; his abdomen is disgustingly small but he wasn't eating! I'm getting some more crickets in tomorrow; how should I feed it to him?
                        Thanks Phil.

And Mike, I'll house him in a small container on pure vermiculite (it's all I have right now), so I can observe if he makes any progress/declines.

Cheers everyone.

I just was looking at the end of one of his legs and it seems shatterred!! As if something had bit it! parasite perhaps, or just an accident.
                        Last edited by Richard Shah; 04-01-09, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Try re killing the crickets first hun, he might not be strong enough to make a kill.
                          Mike

Comment

Leave him completely alone for a while, and see if he improves. If it was simply dehydration, then sometimes the recovery can be suprisingly quick.

My Collection:

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Peachey View Post
                              Try re killing the crickets first hun, he might not be strong enough to make a kill.
                              Mike
                              Yeah I will, thanks.
                              Leave him completely alone for a while, and see if he improves. If it was simply dehydration, then sometimes the recovery can be suprisingly quick.
                              I just rehoused him; is that okay?
                              Oh and I edited the above post:
                              I just was looking at the end of one of his legs and it seems shatterred!! As if something had bit it! parasite perhaps, or just an accident.

In case you missed it.

Comment

Working...
                              X