reply to animal vs animal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reply to animal vs animal

I don't think that feeding animals to other animals purely for fun should be encouraged and we should all do more to prevent it becoming fashionable or cool before something bad happens - pet dies or kid gets bitten etc. I'm sure you'll agree that Tarantula keepers and The bts don't need any bad press if something like this happened.
    Feeding crickets to spiders is a most enjoyable past time. Can any tarantula keeper honestly say they hate it when feeding time comes around. For many this is the only time they even see their pet tarantula move !
    In the case of invert fights then I really see no difference than feeding live crickets to spiders.
    Cheers
    Chris

Again, hi Chris,

I can honestly say hand on heart that I don't feel 100% comfortable picking a cricket for my spider. Just the same as I wouldn't feel comfortable going up to a lobster tank in a restaurant and saying 'that one'. That's just me, not something that needs debating further! But yes, it is awesome watching them realise there's something there and then pouncing (or in the case of my rosea when I put a wax worm in, touching it, hovering over it, backing off a bit for ages before deciding it was safe!).

But, I think the biggest difference here is that you've not put the cricket in with the T to fight, and to see who comes out on top......we all know that the cricket doesn't stand a chance (yes, unless it gets lucky and disappears behind something). It is fascinating and entertaining because it's nature, albeit you placing the prey in the tank.

Sadly this (I feel) is not the same for people who place species together that are well matched in size, strength, stamina. This is not providing food for your pet, or come to that, exercise or entertainment for it. It is sheer abhorrent cruelty, which as Craig pointed out will often lead to either injury or death of both creatures.

over to you.......

Comment

True, this is one of the most rewarding aspects of the hobby (although I'm sure a lot you with hundreds of T's may disagree, lol) but the difference is that our tarantula's need to eat and we don't do it purely for fun. I'm sure after invert vs invert fights the "winner" doesn't often eat the "loser". Some of the fights I've seen have been very long and appeared distressing to both inverts. I find that when T's are distressed they won't eat. I've even seen one where a tarantula after a long struggle eventually killed a scorpion and was then promptly removed and put in with a scolopendra sp.
      www.flickr.com/photos/craigmackay/sets

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

I can honestly say hand on heart that I don't feel 100% comfortable picking a cricket for my spider. Just the same as I wouldn't feel comfortable going up to a lobster tank in a restaurant and saying 'that one'. That's just me, not something that needs debating further! But yes, it is awesome watching them realise there's something there and then pouncing (or in the case of my rosea when I put a wax worm in, touching it, hovering over it, backing off a bit for ages before deciding it was safe!).
        Thats fair enough you like having spiders just don't like feeding them. Lucky for you they only need food once a month or so.
        But, I think the biggest difference here is that you've not put the cricket in with the T to fight, and to see who comes out on top......we all know that the cricket doesn't stand a chance (yes, unless it gets lucky and disappears behind something). It is fascinating and entertaining because it's nature, albeit you placing the prey in the tank.
        Your right that is a big difference. I am also not for these insect fights and after watching one or two on youtube I found them to be rather boring. On the other hand if I was in a part of Asia where this takes place I would join in the fun and have a bet. But if the same was to happen in say the UK I would find it dull. This sounds and is very hypocritical of me and can't really explain the reason for this, but I think it has something to do with enjoying other peoples cultures.
        Sadly this (I feel) is not the same for people who place species together that are well matched in size, strength, stamina. This is not providing food for your pet, or come to that, exercise or entertainment for it. It is sheer abhorrent cruelty, which as Craig pointed out will often lead to either injury or death of both creatures.
        Im only going to comment on the invert side of these fights as, cock fighting and dog fighting are a completly different ball game in the animals awearness and I feel the BTS is not the place for such posts.
        I can't really go into this as there is a pain thread already but with the use of the word cruel in a sence of making two animals fight for the sake of fighting even if they have no pain responces does strike me as being cruel maybe not in the sence that the two animals are in pain but because in a moral sence. It just doesn't seem right to me.
        I'm not too sure if this explains very well what I mean so if not just ask I I will try again.
        all the best
        Chris

Comment

Working...
        X