reply regarding kids getting bitten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reply regarding kids getting bitten

cool before something bad happens - pet dies or kid gets bitten etc. I'm sure you'll agree that Tarantula keepers and The bts don't need any bad press if something like this happened.
    If kids get bitten by pet tarantulas then that is entirely the fault of the parents. No one needs bad press but why would the BTS get bad press on this unless they actively encoraged the spider handling or fighting. Would you say the BTS got bad press when that B. smithi was sent in the post to a work colleage or when someone goes to get checked out by a doc after getting bit?
    Cheers
    Chris

Hi Chris,

If you approach it from a different angle, you may find that Craig meant that the BTS doesn't want to have deal with the fall out of a bad story and have to cope with bad press and damage limitation?

Comment

Hi
      Sure I can see where you are going with that but the only reason why the BTS would have to deal with it is if silly peolpe it happened to stated that it was encoraged by the BTS in the first place. Im quite sure the BTS is not informed or questioned everytime there is a tarantula incident in the UK....or maybe they are?
      If I am honest I bet 99.9% of the population isn't even awear that there is a BTS or would even care if there wasn't one.
      Cheers
      Chris

Comment

Mmmmmm, not sure there, if someone got badly bitten and it managed to get as far as the press, even without the 'victim' saying anything about the BTS, I'm sure the press would then start looking around for a body or society that deals with tarantulas. Enter the BTS.

I'm sure you're right though, no, not that many people know that the BTS exists. I'd like to hope they wouldn't not care though.

Comment

Well if you do a search on Google (which I'm sure is what many of the 'hacks' would do first!) for tarantula uk, the first site that comes up is the BTS.

My Collection:

Comment

So......let's hope that nobody gets bitten badly enough that need to have an arm amputated and then the Sun hears about it and knows how to use Google

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Rea View Post
              Well if you do a search on Google (which I'm sure is what many of the 'hacks' would do first!) for tarantula uk, the first site that comes up is the BTS.
              Het bugger me your right ..cool.

Results 1 - 10 of about 870,000 for tarantula uk. (0.05 seconds)
              Sponsored Links

Tarantula Uk
              Tarantula Uk information
              Tarantula Uk on Ask
              Answers you want. Content for days. What more could you Ask for?

Search Results

British Tarantula Society
              The British Tarantula Society, the largest and oldest tarantula society in the world. ... Designed and maintained by; Mark Pennell webmaster@thebts.co.uk ...
              www.thebts.co.uk/ - 28k - Cached - Similar pages -
              Tarantulas for sale UK - BTS Bulletin Board & Classifieds
              Welcome to the The B.T.S Tarantula Community Board forums. You are currently viewing The BTS Community Forum .... Most Popular Ads - Tarantulas for sale UK ...
              https://www.thebts.co.uk/forums/clas...wcat.php/cat/2 - 59k - Cached - Similar pages -
              Our Exotic Pets for sale, buy Our Exotic Pets online
              Cameroon Rusty-Red Baboon Tarantula Photo Currently Unvailable .... Exotic-Pets. co.uk uses Protx for secure online payment ...
              www.exotic-pets.co.uk/products.php?cat=13 - 33k - Cached - Similar pages -
              The Tarantula's Burrow - Home Page
              3 Jan 2008 ... Home of the Tarantula's Burrow and Alt.Pets.Arachnids, here you will ... 1997- 2008 Martin Overton [arachnophiliac.info, .co.uk and .com] ...
              arachnophiliac.co.uk/burrow/home.htm - 43k - Cached - Similar pages -
              Tarantulas, Spiders&Inverts supplied by Fauna Import UK
              Fauna Import UK suppliers of quality reptiles, amphibians, and inverts for the pet trade. Supplying shops, wholesalers, and mail order companies. ...
              www.faunaimportuk.com/inverts.htm - 43k - Cached - Similar pages -
              Tarantula Uk web services
              Web hosting from Tarantula UK offers real value for money and discounts if you need more space. Web hosting from us costs just £29 per year for the first ...
              www.tarantulauk.com/ - 2k - Cached - Similar pages -
              ARACHNOLOGY - TARANTULAS
              Tarantula Children's zone. The BBC's Nature website (UK) ... EverythingAbout.Net ; Tarantula caresheet The Bug Club. University of Exeter (UK) ...
              www.arachnology.be/pages/Tarantulas.html - 30k - Cached - Similar pages -
              Uncle Milton Remote Controlled Tarantula: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games
              Uncle Milton Remote Controlled Tarantula: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games. ... This brand new remote control tarantula from Uncle Milton has light-up eyes and a ...
              https://www.amazon.co.uk/Uncle-Milto.../dp/B000EUDAWG - 237k - Cached - Similar pages -
              Tarantula: Bob Dylan: Amazon.co.uk: Books
              Tarantula: Bob Dylan: Amazon.co.uk: Books. ... Written in 1966, Tarantula is a collection of poems and prose that evokes the turbulence of the times in ...
              https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tarantula-B.../dp/0007215045 - 228k - Cached - Similar pages -
              More results from www.amazon.co.uk »
              Razer Tarantula » Reviews - XSReviews.co.uk - Trusted Hardware Reviews
              2 Apr 2007 ... Razer Tarantula - Trusted hardware news and reviews for overclockers, gamers and hardware enthusiasts.
              https://www.xsreviews.co.uk/reviews/...zer-tarantula/ - 24k - Cached - Similar pages -

Comment

Ok someone gets bitten. The daily rag gets the story. does a google for tarantula UK and then gets in contact with the BTS. Nows thats the downfall of the hobby in the UK isn't it.
                Now they do ore reaserch and find a page of bite reports and the crap hits the fan we need a world wide ban.
                Anyone remember the bloke in Gerany found dead coverd in cobwebs being eaten by spiders and reptiles? I still have the clipping from the Daily Mirror that my Mum sent me, not to mention the crap that was in the German tabloids.
                Were the BTS contacted in regard to this?
                Has there been any crack downs?
                I think its us tarantulas keepers that make more out of a scenario like this than the press do, a lot of the time.
                Cheers
                Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Sainsbury View Post
                  Ok someone gets bitten. The daily rag gets the story. does a google for tarantula UK and then gets in contact with the BTS. Nows thats the downfall of the hobby in the UK isn't it.
                  Obviously not, but what it really is is a big headache for the BTS.

Do they choose to comment on it or not? Are their comments then edited so much that they don't even resemble what they originally said? If they choose not to comment what does that say? Basically if a paper (saying paper is a term loosely applied) has decided to run with a particular spin on a story, they're not going to want someone who sounds like they're making sense commenting on it................so, I guess to that extent, no it's unlikely they'd contact the BTS!

But going back to what was originally said, if a kid managed to get hold of one from ebay and was bitten, it still confirms people's fears and misconceptions of tarantulas on the whole, and that cannot be a good thing.

Comment

If kids get bitten by pet tarantulas then that is entirely the fault of the parents. No one needs bad press but why would the BTS get bad press on this unless they actively encoraged the spider handling or fighting. Would you say the BTS got bad press when that B. smithi was sent in the post to a work colleage or when someone goes to get checked out by a doc after getting bit?
                    Cheers
                    Chris
                    Why is it the fault of the parents? Do you suggest that parents warn thier kids from a very young age of the dangers that tarantulas pose? We were all kids once and I remember there were plenty foolish things I did even when I was told not to. Is it still my mum and dads fault. That's a relief, my conscience is clear.

Originally posted by Anita Pile View Post
                    Hi Chris,
                    If you approach it from a different angle, you may find that Craig meant that the BTS doesn't want to have deal with the fall out of a bad story and have to cope with bad press and damage limitation?
                    Yes, thats what I was getting at. Thanks

Originally posted by Anita Pile View Post
                    Mmmmmm, not sure there, if someone got badly bitten and it managed to get as far as the press, even without the 'victim' saying anything about the BTS, I'm sure the press would then start looking around for a body or society that deals with tarantulas. Enter the BTS.
                    This was my line of thought.

Originally posted by Phil Rea View Post
                    And this shows the influence/respect that the BTS has in the hobby. If some people had some nasty bites then the bts would surely be seen at the forefront of the hobby in the uk and would be right in the firing line. I guess you would need to ask a commitee member whether the society is ever contacted in this way.

Now they do ore reaserch and find a page of bite reports and the crap hits the fan we need a world wide ban.
                    Anyone remember the bloke in Gerany found dead coverd in cobwebs being eaten by spiders and reptiles? I still have the clipping from the Daily Mirror that my Mum sent me, not to mention the crap that was in the German tabloids.
                    Were the BTS contacted in regard to this?
                    Has there been any crack downs?
                    I think its us tarantulas keepers that make more out of a scenario like this than the press do, a lot of the time.
                    Cheers
                    Chris
                    I was far from suggesting the downfall of the hobby. Thats a bit over dramatic. I'm sure that we could do without the headache of bad press but often a build up of bad press can build to bigger consequences. Often it can be easier to deal with the smaller problems before they escalate.
                    www.flickr.com/photos/craigmackay/sets

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Why is it the fault of the parents? Do you suggest that parents warn thier kids from a very young age of the dangers that tarantulas pose?
                      If the parents keep tarantulas spiders then I would expect for them to educate their kids from a very early age not to play around with them or the tanks. If the kids keep tarantulas then I expect the parents to be responcible enough to know if their kid is responcible enough to keep a tarantula in the first place.
                      We were all kids once and I remember there were plenty foolish things I did even when I was told not to
                      That is off course true but as a parent you should to a certin level know how your kid interacts with things. Example My parents knew I was a little bugger so no pet spider for me!
                      Is it still my mum and dads fault. That's a relief, my conscience is clear.
                      Let me put it to you like this:- Your mum and dad has just told the 4 year old you not to pick up the hairy T.blondi then turned their backs to watch the rest of The Good Life.
                      You now being just 4 have decieded to ignor this, reached in and are now screeming your litle head off that the nasty spider has bite you.
                      Now because you are only 4 and your parents are natualy worried that something quite big and venomious has bite your little piggys, they have taken you to the hospital and the first question they get is "how did this happen?"........To which the answer should be if it is truthful......."well we keep a really large venomious tarantula spider that can bite, within reach of our 4 year old kid who, we can't watch 24 hrs a day and we are too bloody stupid to either keep it in a seprate room or out of reach of the little brat." So yes if this happened to you your conscience is clear.

Bites from pet tarantulas are always the owners fault and if the owner is a kid then I blame the parents for allowing their stupid kid to keep it.
                      Cheers
                      Chris

Comment

I have 3 kids and I have various animals( snakes/spiders/dragons) as pets.
                        My kids know never to mess or go near the animals because there would be trouble if they started meddling.

Comment

If the parents keep tarantulas spiders then I would expect for them to educate their kids from a very early age not to play around with them or the tanks. If the kids keep tarantulas then I expect the parents to be responcible enough to know if their kid is responcible enough to keep a tarantula in the first place.

That is off course true but as a parent you should to a certin level know how your kid interacts with things. Example My parents knew I was a little bugger so no pet spider for me!

Let me put it to you like this:- Your mum and dad has just told the 4 year old you not to pick up the hairy T.blondi then turned their backs to watch the rest of The Good Life.
                          You now being just 4 have decieded to ignor this, reached in and are now screeming your litle head off that the nasty spider has bite you.
                          Now because you are only 4 and your parents are natualy worried that something quite big and venomious has bite your little piggys, they have taken you to the hospital and the first question they get is "how did this happen?"........To which the answer should be if it is truthful......."well we keep a really large venomious tarantula spider that can bite, within reach of our 4 year old kid who, we can't watch 24 hrs a day and we are too bloody stupid to either keep it in a seprate room or out of reach of the little brat." So yes if this happened to you your conscience is clear.

Bites from pet tarantulas are always the owners fault and if the owner is a kid then I blame the parents for allowing their stupid kid to keep it.
                          Cheers
                          Chris
                          Sorry, I just re read your first post and noticed you said "if the kids gets bitten by pet tarantulas...". I failed to read the word pet and was replying under the assumption we were still talking about if a kid bought a spider from ebay to feed to his pet. If it's already a pet then I couldn't agree more on that one. The T's should always be out of the kids reach and he/she should be educated about them. I was talking about the a kid buying a spider without his parents knowing about it and getting bitten. I wouldn't blame the parents for that.
                          www.flickr.com/photos/craigmackay/sets

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

I was talking about the a kid buying a spider without his parents knowing about it and getting bitten. I wouldn't blame the parents for that.
                            if he brought it on ebay still blame the parents (they should monitar what the kid does online better)
                            from a pet shop blame the pet shop owner
                            bit whilest mucking about with it in the wild....then and only then possibly the kids fault as far as I am conserned.
                            Cheers
                            Chris

Comment

Surely because BTS doesnt condone handling then if someone gets bit then its due to they're own fault surely?

Even if someone buys it from BTS classfeilds, if they searched to post someone about the tarantula then recieve it and then get bitten; they must have agree'd to the terms and conditions.
                              Mike
                              Last edited by Michael Peachey; 04-01-09, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X