Lighting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lighting.

Hello everyone, I hope you all had a great Christmas and a Happy New Year. Very quiet in our household and lots of fun on the Wii (that's why there has been a bit of an absence here of late!!!).

Anyway, a few months ago I spotted a red LED light at my local Pets At Home (I take James to see the fish, rabbits and rodents, its cheaper and closer than a zoo!). It was just a single led bulb and is intended for aquariums. Now my question is (if you can't see it coming, you must be blind, stupid or both!), would this solitary LED bulb set up be harmful to my Brachy?
    I'm sure I read that red light does no harm to a tarantula and a single LED shouldn't give off enough heat to dry out the tank. So can I have opinions or if anyone has bought such a thing offer any advice?

Thanks in advance ladies and gents.
    Gloria my little Brachypelma smithi.

I am sure your Brachy would be fine with it...... In the wild these guys must at least sometimes go out in the Central American sun and they don't even have eyelids!
    Last edited by Mark Pajak; 06-01-09, 09:01 PM.
    See my new blog about Bristol's bug life: Bristol Loves Bugs

Comment

lights

Hi Andrew,
      We have been using LED's on most of our set-ups for a while. Ours have little suckers on the lights which are ideal to stick to the sides of the tanks. They come with a hub, which allows 3 lights to be run from one socket. These are a brand called Marina and purchased from a chain of pet stores called Jollies, but I've also seen them in aquatic stores. There's a choice of colours red (nocturnal) blue (moonlight) green (emphasise plants) and white, which is really too harsh! Coupled to a timer on the socket, they really show off your tanks in the evening. Hope it goes well with the lighting Cheers, Dave

Comment

Hi
        I shouldn't think a red LED will bother it much but if you want to see it move get a green one as well!
        Cheers
        Chris

Comment

Thank you Mark, David and Chris.

Chris, you say a green light will help me see it move. Is that because it will just show off the tarantula more, or does green light stimulate them somehow?

Comment

I think Chris may have been referring to a traffic light...

Comment

Indeed I did!

Comment

lmao, do they do an amber one?

I have too many tubs to put a light in each of mine, but I have an idea.
                No need to put those Christmas lights away
                My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Pajak View Post
                  I think Chris may have been referring to a traffic light...

Oh cheers, thanks for taking the pi$$

I did read Chris's reply at 5:00am, 10 minutes after getting up. Now I can see the joke. Talk about feeling like a complete berk!!!

Comment

Sorry, couldn't resist.... !

Comment

Hi Andrew,
                      I managed to take a photo on the mobile of some of our tanks with the LED lights on. Not sure of the quality as I've never posted pics before. hope they work out o.k
                      Cheers, Dave

Last edited by Phil Rea; 08-01-09, 09:33 PM. Reason: Broken links fixed

Comment

Fixed the picture links for you

My Collection:

Comment

dam Phil, you beat me to it.

I hope your making sure you're Ts are
                          Staying Alive, Staying Alive
                          ah ha ha ha Staying Aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii, iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii, iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii, iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii, Staying Alive!
                          My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

That is pretty psychedelic!

My Collection:

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Sainsbury View Post
                              Indeed I did!
                              Lol see it's not I don't understand jokes as much but sometimes they take a while to process lol.

Yeah a red light looks great, I want one as did my brother but my mum might complain of a waste of power and I don't know how easy it'd be to install on my sheleves.
                              Li'l' Ice Cube the Brachypelma Smithi!!! (As of 13/05/08 !!) But, I'm still gonna refer to it as Ice Cube!
                              Pyro the Brachypelma Auratum!!!!!!!!!!

Many, many thanks Louise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X