Great news :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great news :)

I looked in on my scorpions today, admiring them... as you do!

Then I saw some weird growth on the back of my iomachus politus female... it took a few seconds to realise what they were....

BABIES!!!!! about 10 of them that I can see

This is my first brood for about 3 years and I wasn't 100% certain she was pregnant. What a way to start 2009.

So as you can imagine... I'm ever so slightly giddier than a giddy thing being giddy!

It's feeding time tonight so if circumstances permit, I will try and get a picture.
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

congrats Lisa!!! wish you and them all the best
    this is a great species of scorpion as i've said before lol
    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->

Comment

jealous me????....nooooo !!!!!!!
      Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Woohoo!! Congrats Lisa
        www.flickr.com/photos/craigmackay/sets

Comment

Congratulations

My Collection:

Comment

Great Expectations

Comment

Nice one Lisa xxx
              spider woman at Wilkinsons

Comment

Thanks for your kind replies.

Mum kindly settled down about half an hour ago so I (very carefully) managed to get a picture.

On closer inspection they look 2-3 days old and going on the pic I recon I can count 26 of them. So a pretty good brood.
                And yes I'm still buzzing

So here are the little beauties...

Comment

Nice pic.
                  Cheers
                  Chris

Comment

cheers chris

Comment

Fair few babies there. Nice one Lisa

My Collection:

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa Baines View Post
                        Thanks for your kind replies.

Mum kindly settled down about half an hour ago so I (very carefully) managed to get a picture.

On closer inspection they look 2-3 days old and going on the pic I recon I can count 26 of them. So a pretty good brood.
                        And yes I'm still buzzing

So here are the little beauties...

Ooo they kinda look like maggots. But good news all the same Lisa... I swear the mothers sometimes eat their babies, or is that just when food supplies are a bit short?
                        And is this the emperor scorpion?

Thanks Lisa, and nice one.
                        Li'l' Ice Cube the Brachypelma Smithi!!! (As of 13/05/08 !!) But, I'm still gonna refer to it as Ice Cube!
                        Pyro the Brachypelma Auratum!!!!!!!!!!

Many, many thanks Louise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Hi richard,

No this isn't an emperor, this is iomachus politus, it's a cousin of the flat rock scorpions only much smaller, they only get to about 2-2.5" thereabouts. And are just as 'squished' looking lol
                          But it does come from africa like the emperor scorpion. this particular specimen is from tanzania.

The maternal instinct of the mothers doesn't last long. when the babies start roaming around the mother can see them as food. Although the babies are more likely to eat each other, even in some 'communal' species. The I.politus is supposed to be non cannibalistic but I will be keeping a close eye on them.
                          Just need to keep plenty of food in with them - or put them into individual 'pots'. I have never bred this sp. before so I may opt for the latter option to ensure most if not all survive, but I guess that's personal preference.

If anyone does have any rearing husbandry on these by all means give me a shout.

Comment

Now that's what you call a busy mom, lots of luck with them Lisa

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa Baines View Post
                              Hi richard,

No this isn't an emperor, this is iomachus politus, it's a cousin of the flat rock scorpions only much smaller, they only get to about 2-2.5" thereabouts. And are just as 'squished' looking lol
                              But it does come from africa like the emperor scorpion. this particular specimen is from tanzania.

The maternal instinct of the mothers doesn't last long. when the babies start roaming around the mother can see them as food. Although the babies are more likely to eat each other, even in some 'communal' species. The I.politus is supposed to be non cannibalistic but I will be keeping a close eye on them.
                              Just need to keep plenty of food in with them - or put them into individual 'pots'. I have never bred this sp. before so I may opt for the latter option to ensure most if not all survive, but I guess that's personal preference.

If anyone does have any rearing husbandry on these by all means give me a shout.
                              Wow like I've said in the past, breeding tarantulas is something I'd never dream about doing; way too much hassle. However with a scorpion I'd honestly just leave them, since they are said to be communal... although from your comment I'm guessing not all sp. are? I thought they were though, and I really wanted som eperors but scorpions seem to freak my mum out, even though I told her they are equally as dangerous as my t.s or less even.
                              I never thought babies would eat other babies though lol.. that's grimy.

Well good luckwith it and I hope the good majority of them survive, if certainly not all of them! What do you plan to do with them afterwards though?
                              Li'l' Ice Cube the Brachypelma Smithi!!! (As of 13/05/08 !!) But, I'm still gonna refer to it as Ice Cube!
                              Pyro the Brachypelma Auratum!!!!!!!!!!

Many, many thanks Louise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X