Cold Coir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Coir

I've been wondering for a while why my A. Seemani hasn't been making a burrow.

Now bear with me...

When I first got the T I had the heat mat on the bottom of the tank, under the substrate. I was then told this wasn't good as the glass bottom could crack, and the T could over heat. Since then I have moved the heat mat onto the side (outside the glass) and from that point she hasn't burrowed. I have done a number of tests, and the substrate is at least 1.5 degrees centigrade below the air temp.

Now I think this is the reason for the lack of burrowing, but does anyone have any suggestions how to rectify this?

The other possibility is that the insulation I have to direct the heat into the tank only covers the top 3/4 of the heat mat and there is no insulation under the tank, could this be a reason?

If so, does anyone know where I can get some 12" square polystyrene in Canterbury.

Thanks,
    Simon Cull

hi Simon, as far as i know in the wild although they live in warm climates, it is in nature cooler inside the burrow. What temp is it above the substrate.,

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Hi Simon,

No real answers on the burrowing sitch for you (although your set up sounds pretty much like mine and mine spend a lot of time in their burrows?!), was she burrowing before you moved the mat?

Thinking about the polystyrene you were after, I'm not sure if you can still get hold of them, but you could maybe try a DIY store for those really naff polystyrene ceiling tiles you used to see? That way you could always place one on the side of your tank over your heatmat as well? I think they may have been bigger than 12 x 12 but they should be quite easy to trim down to size.

Good luck , Anita

Comment

I don't think you can get styrene ceiling tiles now, they were a fire hazzard, a friend of mine lost 2 of her hubbys brothers in a fire years ago and if not for them they would have got out alive, they are just 1 statistic against them, and I haven't seen any for years.

Idea, we sell large clip frames at work (Wilkinsons), they are not expensive and come with a sheet of styrene as protection on the back.
        spider woman at Wilkinsons

Comment

Stuart: well for example, at the moment, the air temp is 25' and the soil temp is 23.2'

Anita: She made a burrow before I moved the mat, but she didn't spend much time in there, she was always sat out front, and occationally went in. I guess there is the possibility that she just likes the outside.

Mary: Good plan, at the minute I'm using artists foam board covered in foil, and this seems to work pretty well, so I might just invest in A3 sheets and trim them as an upgrade from the A4 sheets I have at the moment.

Comment

Hi
            Any good DIY shop should have sheets of expanded polystyrene that measure around 1 meter x 50 cm. They come in different thickness and you can cut them to size with no problem with a sharp knife, although this will make a little mess. If the shop is a good one you will be able to by them singlely instead of the pack of 10 or so that they come in, for the huge price of around 10 - 70 pence if it is anything like out here.
            Because they are used often for insolation also a place to look, are your builder supply shops.

If all else fails try ordering some crickets from Germany LOL, as it is often used as packing material I always seem to be lumbered with a load of the stuff!
            Cheers
            Chris

BTW if you are going to glue it at any stage then choose your glue with care or you will find that the polystyrene will just melt away in your fingers making a nice sticky mess!
            Attached Files

Comment

Last time I was in B & Q I saw some polystyrene ceiling tiles. I'm almost certain they still do them.

My Collection:

Comment

We get any polystyrene sheets we need from our local electrical shop, as most goods are still packed in that stuff, and they are glad to get rid of it.

Comment

Temperatures and humidity inside the burrow will always be different to that found outside. Perhaps worthwhile for you to purchase Andrew Smith's DVD on brachypelma where he provides natural habitat pix and readings from directly inside the burrow in comparison to outside, £5 at the shows!
                  I always consider, if the tarantula isnt burrowing or adopting a hide then it considers its enclosure to be one. Its also often mentioned that the new tarantula will hide until it becomes accustomed to its surroundings, at which time it may ignore the burrow.
                  My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Hi everyone, maybe you could try using a hide then the T might use this then start digging down inside this. Just because they burrow in the wild, doesn't necessarily mean that they will do exactly the same in captivity.
                    As regards the insulation, go to your nearest fruit shop or fishmongers. Both have poly boxes, the ones from fishmongers tend to be longer but obviously need a good clean!!

Comment

Ok I have just got back from B&Q with a pack of ceiling tiles, 2 on the bottom, 1 behind each heat mat with a couple more just in case the heat mats need more insulation. When I went to pick up some locusts and he said something similar to most of the above, that he has found the A.Seemani will sometimes choose a place to hide rather than burrow, so with this extra insulation and new knowledge, I think she is going to be fine. She is instantly happier, still not burrowing, and I will keep you updated
                      Last edited by Simon Cull; 10-01-09, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Do you have accurate temperature readings?
                        Is it kept in a house thats warm enough for yourself, without resorting to jumpers?
                        My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Originally posted by mary walters View Post
                          I don't think you can get styrene ceiling tiles now, they were a fire hazzard, a friend of mine lost 2 of her hubbys brothers in a fire years ago and if not for them they would have got out alive, they are just 1 statistic against them, and I haven't seen any for years.
                          Eeek, sorry Mary, I guess even if they aren't banned maybe they should be (unless they're made differently now?). It was one of the first things that popped into my head, but everybody's come up with really good ideas

Comment

Mary & Anita: The ceiling tiles I found are now fire retardant, this may well be because of the fires.

Peter: We had a little problem with the central heating for a while, but it's fixed now, and with the insulation on the base of the tank she is now burrowing, I think it must have been the cold.

Comment

Glad you got some love
                              spider woman at Wilkinsons

Comment

Working...
                              X